cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof top heat pump/furnace issue

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my roof top ac’s with two Dometic 15,000 Penguin II Low Profile Air Conditioner Heat Pump units with 10 button thermostat.
I tried to fire up my webasto coolant heater and when I put the thermostat on hp or furnace the roof tops run. When on furnace the roof top should not run.
Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU
11 REPLIES 11

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
azSkier wrote:
I have an older 2006 coach. It uses the 5 button dometic controller to control 3 15K heat pumps and the aquahot furnace.

If I want to use the newer 10 button controller, I must purchase 3 new heat pumps and upgrade the furnace controller.

The new 10 button controller is incompatible with older dometic interface controllers.

Here is a link to the new furnace controller.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-air-conditioners/ccc-ii-control-kit.htm

Newmar discussion areas on other forums discuss this issue. I tried to post a picture of my controller, mounted under a sink, but could not.

You are confusing some things. YES, the 5 button controller board will ONLY work with a 5 Button wall tstat. You CANNOT mix any part of the 5 button system with a 10 button system. You only have to upgrade to a 10 button if you purchase NEW Penguin's. The Penguin's come with onboard 10 button control boards. They make a 10 button to 5 button adapter kit board replacement for the new Penguin's. To make the NEW Penguin work with a 5 button tstat. Newmar used a separate Dometic Board in a galvanized Box to utilize operation of the AC/Heat system to come on when NOT in the RV. Like to engage the Genset when you were away and you wanted to have the Roof AC come on when the temp in the RV was too hot. THAT is what that board under the sink is used for. IF you have a separate ON/OFF switch system JUST for your Webasto/Aqua Hot, that must be turned ON to utilize Hydronic heating controlled by the Dometic wall tstat system. Do you have a separate switch system just to turn on the Aqua Hot in your unit? Remember, the OP states he try's to start the Webasto but it fails to ignite. This would NOT be caused by the Dometic system. Remember he states he HAD the Webasto switch ON and the motor ran but did not ignite. Doug

azSkier
Explorer
Explorer
I have an older 2006 coach. It uses the 5 button dometic controller to control 3 15K heat pumps and the aquahot furnace.

If I want to use the newer 10 button controller, I must purchase 3 new heat pumps and upgrade the furnace controller.

The new 10 button controller is incompatible with older dometic interface controllers.

Here is a link to the new furnace controller.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-air-conditioners/ccc-ii-control-kit.htm

Newmar discussion areas on other forums discuss this issue. I tried to post a picture of my controller, mounted under a sink, but could not.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
azSkier wrote:
There is a dometic controller just for the furnace. Did you upgrade that as well?

Explain this statement. The Furnace/Aqua Hot is controlled by the AC/HP control board mounted in the upper AC/HP unit. The OP installed 2 Penguin's. THEY have built in Dometic control boards. Dometic does not build a Furnace ONLY controller. Doug

azSkier
Explorer
Explorer
There is a dometic controller just for the furnace. Did you upgrade that as well?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
mike brez wrote:
Ran out of time for today. Still nothing.
Set both zones 1&2 to auto and both to furnace and yes have my webasto switch on and nothing. Before I started fooling around with it today I could hear it running but not firing then it would shut down and try again in a few minutes.

This has NOTHING to do with your Dometic install or wiring. You have a Webasto problem. Doug

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Ran out of time for today. Still nothing.
Set both zones 1&2 to auto and both to furnace and yes have my webasto switch on and nothing. Before I started fooling around with it today I could hear it running but not firing then it would shut down and try again in a few minutes.
2015 Wrangler JKU

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Doug
2015 Wrangler JKU

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
mike brez wrote:
Ok with both zones in auto and furnace selected roof tops are off.
Still can’t get webasto to fire. Wondering if I have the roof top dip switches in correct position. On the front one(zone 1) I have heat pump and furnace on and on the rear (zone 2) I have zone 2, heat pump and furnace on.

Yes, your switches are correct. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Still can’t get webasto to fire

With Aqua Hot, you have to turn the Aqua Hot(Webasto) system ON from its OWN control switch. The Dometic system just turns on and off the Various Radiator fans from the set temp. The Dometic Tstat system does NOT turn on any Aqua Hot(Webasto) system to heat the Aqua hot fluid. Doug

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Ok with both zones in auto and furnace selected roof tops are off.
Still can’t get webasto to fire. Wondering if I have the roof top dip switches in correct position. On the front one(zone 1) I have heat pump and furnace on and on the rear (zone 2) I have zone 2, heat pump and furnace on.
2015 Wrangler JKU

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Do you have the FAN set to AUTO? Doug

Fan Speed Press the FAN button to select the desired fan speed. Each successive press will advance to the next available speed. Your selections will be Auto, LOW, MED, and HIGH. The fan will run continuously during LOW, MED, and HIGH fan settings. The fan will cycle on and off with the thermostat on AUTO setting. See “Special Features” on page 8 for more information on auto fan.
To set Aqua Hot instead of furnace.

“FURN” / “AQUA” - Furnace or Aqua Mode (Factory setting is “FURN”) To change the setting from “FURN” to “AQUA” or visa versa, simultaneously press the up and down buttons. The LED will display the selected option.