cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some ATV rules Help

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
A little off topic here but I was wondering if anyone has heard that if you have your licensed ATV for public roads in your state, that they may not be honoring them in other states. Currently, I knew it to be that if you were licensed in lets say WA for public roads as well as off road, that ID would accept it as an example.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie
44 REPLIES 44

Flashman
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis58 wrote:
Seems like out west in the desert states if it's fun it's not allowed. 🙂

I think you mean Cali - almost everything allowed in Az.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
For us AZ residents, getting the OHV sticker gets you a huge discount on the license plate fees. Without the OHV tag the regular registration on a RZR could be several hundred dollars.

so you can dual register in AZ?
The AZ license plate I have on my RZR also has an OHV sticker on it that allows me to travel off road.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
nayther wrote:
modern dirt bikes come in three categories:
MX - all 4 strokes now but no charging coils to power lights or charge batteries
Offroad - either 2 or 4 stroke, most have basic lights, no blinkers/horn, etc.
Dual Sport - Same as Offroad but have lghts, blinkers, etc and are typically plated from the factory.

Some states (AZ) allow you to plate anything, it's up to you to make sure it complies with the MV code. CA doesn't allow any retrofitted bikes to be plated since 2003.

So your question on KTM Enduro is answered by "it depends"

I have no comment on SxS except in CA it's NO WAY!

I paid a guy years ago to plate my WR. It was a great solution to a temporary problem (more drivers than vehicles in our household). It's been a nightmare with the DMV ever since though. The DMV sees that it's plated, so they want insurance for it (fine with me). My insurer knows that it was a dirt bike and issues me off-road insurance, which doesn't link with the DMV's network.

For years I was able to get my insurance to email me one of those temporary proof of insurance statements to take into the DMV, but they finally quit accepting them. For the past two years I've played dumb and paid the tags, but the DMV sends me a nastygram telling me not to drive it. So it's paid for (yes, they cash the checks) and I carry the letter from my insurance, but I haven't had a new registration sticker since then.

We don't ride the WR that much anymore anyway, but I wish I could straighten this out and get the reg stickers so we don't have to sweat it.

Try Geico. My 450x is insured by them, technically a "dirt bike" but it's CA plated via AZ. Originally used State Farm in AZ but when transferred to CA they wanted way too much. My agent/family friend suggested Geico, very reasonable. I get multi-bike discount as they insure my Gold Wing too.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
For us AZ residents, getting the OHV sticker gets you a huge discount on the license plate fees. Without the OHV tag the regular registration on a RZR could be several hundred dollars.

so you can dual register in AZ?
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

dedmiston
Dennis58 wrote:

We have a TON of fun out here. We have to jump through a couple hoops here and there, but we're still pretty fortunate to have as much open riding as we do.

Out of all the dumb ways we get taxed and fee'd in this state, I don't complain much about our green stickers. We pay $50 every other year per VIN. Compared to the rest of our DMV fees, that's a rounding error.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Dennis58
Explorer
Explorer

dedmiston
nayther wrote:
MX - all 4 strokes now but no charging coils to power lights or charge batteries
Dual Sport - Same as Offroad but have lghts, blinkers, etc and are typically plated from the factory.

Some states (AZ) allow you to plate anything, it's up to you to make sure it complies with the MV code. CA doesn't allow any retrofitted bikes to be plated since 2003.

I paid a guy years ago to plate my WR. It was a great solution to a temporary problem (more drivers than vehicles in our household). It's been a nightmare with the DMV ever since though. The DMV sees that it's plated, so they want insurance for it (fine with me). My insurer knows that it was a dirt bike and issues me off-road insurance, which doesn't link with the DMV's network.

For years I was able to get my insurance to email me one of those temporary proof of insurance statements to take into the DMV, but they finally quit accepting them. For the past two years I've played dumb and paid the tags, but the DMV sends me a nastygram telling me not to drive it. So it's paid for (yes, they cash the checks) and I carry the letter from my insurance, but I haven't had a new registration sticker since then.

We don't ride the WR that much anymore anyway, but I wish I could straighten this out and get the reg stickers so we don't have to sweat it.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis58 wrote:
Stickers and License plates aside can and/or are the following off road toys street legal or can they be made street legal for the purpose of running down the road to a store or gas station.

1) Can-Am Side X Side
2) Honda Ricon
3) KTM Enduro

Working on my desert toy list.

Dennis

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I have a RZR licensed for on-road use in AZ. Utah is OK with it while Colorado says NO. I have no experience with other states. It totally depends on the state you're visiting.
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

dedmiston
Dennis58 wrote:
Stickers and License plates aside can and/or are the following off road toys street legal or can they be made street legal for the purpose of running down the road to a store or gas station.

1) Can-Am Side X Side
2) Honda Ricon
3) KTM Enduro

Dennis

There's no nationwide standard. Regulations vary by state and sometimes even county.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Dennis58
Explorer
Explorer

1) Can-Am Side X Side
2) Honda Ricon
3) KTM Enduro

Dennis

Bedlam
It is getting tough even for VW fiberglass buggies and special builds. Texas finally came to terms with owners on how to license them on the road and now Colorado is going through the same thing. These are vehicles that still use the pan and running gear of the VW, so really only the body has been modified. It is not like some states where you can license a tube frame rail as a road vehicle...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
LeChuck80 wrote:
Yes, indeed. According to the laws and various articles like this, you can drive ATVs and UTVs in Arizona without any problems if your vehicle has all the lights installed. Same with California, only age restrictions differ I guess.

The linked article is wrong; NO ATV's are street legal in CA.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II