Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Corona Virus and RV Travel Video
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Corona Virus and RV Travel Video

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/20 08:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just watched this video by one of the bigger YouTube RV channels, "Long Long Honeymoon". He is interviewing his sister, a Doctor at a Tacoma Hospital. She delivers some good information.
If this does not belong here, do what you must.
Coronavirus & RV Travel -- SHOULD YOU CA........ PLANS? (with Dr. Elizabeth Wheeler, MD)

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/20 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Should be around the campfire, I think. Any way, if the video is in person, did she not tell him to stay away from Western WA? Must not like her brother. [emoticon] No offense intended, but Western WA is ground zero for the US.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/20 08:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Should be around the campfire, I think. Any way, if the video is in person, did she not tell him to stay away from Western WA? Must not like her brother. [emoticon] No offense intended, but Western WA is ground zero for the US.

That retirement center is ground zero for our area. There are a couple hot spots around the country.

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/20 08:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have already canceled our jeep trip to Silverton, Co this summer due to covid 19.

Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/20 10:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have part of my Polish family living in Italy. One of Polish women, living in Italy made educational video that surf the net. It is in Polish, so I will not link it here.
The truth is the person living in Italy gives quite different info than what we hear on TV in USA.
Bottom line the Italy is "brought to its knees" by the situation.
You better hope USA will not follow.

winniman

muskoka Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/20 12:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIuzLf9f5WI
Dr. John does a good job of explaining why we need to slow the spread of this sooner than later.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/20 12:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aren't we in "later" already?
My only hope is in higher (78F) temperatures killing the virus.
Las Vegas, where I live suppose to have them in matters of days only.
Other regions might be in different situation.
We've been to 1 of most popular buffets today.
Only 4-5 tables occupy at dinner time, when corporation owning MGM and several others close down whole activity.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/20 03:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wish all of the cases were only in Kirkland which is still horrible..

As of March 15, there are 29 cases in Pierce county which includes Tacoma. And ... of course, the number is probably higher like most places that have any cases.

https://www.tpchd.org/healthy-people/diseases/covid-19-pierce-county-cases

The big point is there are far safer places to go than Western WA.

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/20 06:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are TWO different perspectives to take when thinking about the situation we're in, and both of them are true and valid. One is the perspective taken by the doctor in this video: the effects of the virus on individuals. The other perspective is the social perspective: how the virus moves through a population and what the effects of that are.

By far, the most serious issue is the population issue. She stated that "only" about 5% of patients become critically ill. OK - that means each individual has a pretty low probability of having serious problems (unless that individual is in a high-risk category.)

But here's the rub: That small percentage ... of a very large number of sick people all at once will overwhelm the capacity of the health care system to care for them. That's when things get scary and truly dangerous. When people who desperately NEED critical care can't get it, because there aren't enough beds, ventilators, doctors, and respiratory therapists, they will die. In some cases, needlessly. If they could get the care they need, many could recover. But they won't get that chance if our health system is overwhelmed.

If we can keep the numbers of people needing critical care below the threshold of what our capacity is, then we'll be relatively fine. But to do that, we have to take some pretty drastic social measures like closing down events where large numbers of people gather. It's the contagiousness of this virus that creates the problem, not the seriousness of it for most people.

So we have to request/require large numbers of healthy (or apparently healthy) people to change their lifestyles for a while to disrupt the spread of this thing. Not for their sake, but for the sake of that 5%, and for the sake of the health care system and people trying to care for them.

It's not about "you." It's about "us."

-Speak

It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

DWeikert

York, PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/20 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Aren't we in "later" already?
My only hope is in higher (78F) temperatures killing the virus.

Considering the virus is spreading in Australia, where it's summer, good luck with that. Not to mention the virus survives just fine in the body at 98.6F

I was planning to spend the second half of April touring NM, AZ, UT... I'm coming to terms that it isn't going to happen this year.

Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Corona Virus and RV Travel Video
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.