cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rec.gov cancellation policy

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We finally snagged a site at Ft. Pickens, FL in May and now looks like we might have to cancel. Is Rec.gov offering any special cancellation policy due to the COVID-19?
From what I can find they are making no extra exceptions due to this virus outbreak. Their website states:

Individual Campsites: A customer who cancels a reservation the day before or on the day of arrival will pay a $10.00 service fee AND forfeit the first night's use fee (not to exceed the total paid for the original reservation). Cancellations for a one-night reservation will forfeit the entire amount paid and will not be subject to an additional service fee.

They say nothing about cancelling a week or two (or more)in advance and loosing less of your money. Really not sure what to do. Both DW & I are in the high risk category, but really want to go.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
9 REPLIES 9

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
If you cancel a reservation, I'd expect the regular policy to apply. If they cancel you, a full refund is coming your way.

MODERATOR'S EDIT: Per the site Admin's request, I am closing all COVID-19 threads and directing future comments to one thread in Around the Campfire: 2019โ€“20 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yo Fizz: That is why we are considering cancelling. All pending on our health the virus situation, etc. I thought that was explained in my opening statement.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
I've cancelled in the past a few weeks out and paid only the $10 fee. However I know people that are having their reservations cancelled by the state and they aren't paying anything. When my reservation to Anastasia State Park was cancelled due to hurricane Irma, I paid nothing.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
garmp wrote:
We finally snagged a site at Ft. Pickens, FL in May and now looks like we might have to cancel. Is Rec.gov offering any special cancellation policy due to the COVID-19?
From what I can find they are making no extra exceptions due to this virus outbreak. Their website states:

Individual Campsites: A customer who cancels a reservation the day before or on the day of arrival will pay a $10.00 service fee AND forfeit the first night's use fee (not to exceed the total paid for the original reservation). Cancellations for a one-night reservation will forfeit the entire amount paid and will not be subject to an additional service fee.

They say nothing about cancelling a week or two (or more)in advance and loosing less of your money. Really not sure what to do. Both DW & I are in the high risk category, but really want to go.

"Reservation Cancellations & Changes"

"Cancelling a Reservation: Customers may cancel their reservation prior to arrival both on-line and through the call center. A $10 service fee will be withheld from any refund for a cancellation. Depending on when you cancel in relation to your arrival day, it may be considered a late cancellation (see below)."

"Late Cancellations or Cancellations within the Cut-off Window"

Individual Campsites: A customer who cancels a reservation the day before or on the day of arrival will pay a $10.00 service fee AND forfeit the first night's use fee (not to exceed the total paid for the original reservation). Cancellations for a one-night reservation will forfeit the entire amount paid and will not be subject to an additional service fee."

https://www.recreation.gov/rules-reservation-policies
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
If the government closes the campground for the days of your reservation, you will recieve a refund promptly. Had that happen for floods and fires several times in past few years.

If you choose to not make the trip and the campground - you owe the cancellation fees and such.

But, call. Don't depend upon anything on the internet.

We once had an axle failure while towing to a COE campground, and I called. That counted as an 'emergency' cancellation, and my full fees were refunded.

Not saying your situation counts as that, or if the policy even still is in place. CALL THEM.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
It has more detail in the confirmation email. I want to say just $10 fee if cancelled 2 days or more in advance though. Unfortunately I don't keep my reservation emails once I have used them so can't find the wording quickly.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
Wait a couple of days. It appears that the government in an attempt to save everyone is about to make thousands of campers homeless in FL and other states...see you at WalMart.
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Call them and ask
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller