cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I weighed my rig. Need help with math

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
So i got my 30ft class a weighed today. With me in it, it weighed 13,060lbs total, 8400lbs rear, and 4660lbs front.

Now i know i should have fully loaded it but i didnt have the time or energy. With the basic math i did, Id say in fluids, gear, and people, I’ll add about 1500lbs, mostly on the rear axle.

I did this because i want to order coil springs from supersteer to replace my crummy front airbags. The springs im torn between come 4400-4900lbs or 5000-5300lbs. Im leaning towards the 5000lbs springs. All i need is 2 additional passengers and I’ll be beyond 4900lbs

My other question is how to calculate my tire pressure. My tires say 3525lbs at 110psi single and 3305lbs double. I keep my tires at the recommended 110psi and my coach rides like a brick. Id like to run less psi but im not sure how to extrapolate the numbers to determine my minimum psi needed.
1993 fleetwood coronado 30’ class a chuggin along with a tbi 454
An On demand hot water heater was the best thing i ever did
12 REPLIES 12

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
You won't be able to get the final tire pressure until you weigh it for travel. But I would say around 75 will be the approx pressure.
As for the springs I would go with the 5000lb springs.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Octaneforce wrote:
rk911 wrote:
Octaneforce wrote:
Hey sorry for the delay. Things are crazy around here.

Anyway i appreciate the replies. The tag in my coach says 14,800 gross and 65psi for all the tires. 65 sounds a little low to me. The tire size is 8r19.5

even assuming that tag is accurate...a big assumption...you still don't know what you actually weigh on each axle.

brand of tire? and the complete size from the sidewall?

According to tag Gross front is 5000 and gross rear is 9800

Tires are sumihoto and just say 8r19.5 which sounded weird to me but the tire shop knew exactly what they were when i replaced these tires last year.

never have seen a tire size written that way. as for your weights...again you need to know what your coach weighs as it is loaded for travel. to do anything else is akin to whistling thru the cemetery. do as you please but you’ll never be sure.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
Octaneforce wrote:

Anyway i appreciate the replies. The tag in my coach says 14,800 gross and 65psi for all the tires. 65 sounds a little low to me. The tire size is 8r19.5

even assuming that tag is accurate...a big assumption...you still don't know what you actually weigh on each axle.

According to tag Gross front is 5000 and gross rear is 9800

Tires are sumihoto and just say 8r19.5 which sounded weird to me but the tire shop knew exactly what they were when i replaced these tires last year.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Octaneforce wrote:

Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer

ccxnola
Explorer
Explorer
Most truck scale locations do not want to mess with RV's to check each wheel / corner. But nearly all have the front / rear / tag weight capability.
I make a first weight run of the total rig and then do it again with one side off of the scale. Simple subtraction will get the weight for the wheels of the side that was not on the scale.
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 mid-entry DP w/CAT 3126b Diesel
Look for the Mardi Gras 'Gators - Laissez le bon temps roulez - Let the good times roll!!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
way2roll wrote:
The proper way to get weights is to load your rig for travel - fuel, water, food, people, clothes, tools, chairs, bbq, the list goes on and on. Why?, because that's your actual weight when you travel and that is what matters for being over/under and determining proper PSI. You just wasted your time and now you are guessing - which you could have done without weighing it. Why bother to do it if you aren't going to do it properly?
X2 Then use the mfg load inflation table for your tires.

Actually the "best" way is to weigh all 4 corners, then use the weight for the heavest side on a axle to set the psi for all tirea on that axle. You could have a side to side weight problem that can be corrected by moving cargo.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
The proper way to get weights is to load your rig for travel - fuel, water, food, people, clothes, tools, chairs, bbq, the list goes on and on. Why?, because that's your actual weight when you travel and that is what matters for being over/under and determining proper PSI. You just wasted your time and now you are guessing - which you could have done without weighing it. Why bother to do it if you aren't going to do it properly?
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd go with the 5000/5300 springs. In order to determine the correct psi for your tires, we'd need the tire size. You've already given your estimate of your weights. To be more accurate though, I'd wait until I was ready to go camping and have the coach weighed then. I usually weigh mine at a Flying J when I fuel up. $11 and you have accurate axle weights. Then simply look at the chart and air up or down accordingly. I've linked the chart below. Airing to the max will jar your teeth.....Dennis

Inflation tables
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
You need to locate the load inflation chart for your tires, probably from the manufacturer's website. Then, you can determine the proper psi for your scaled weight.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
without loading it as you would for travel...food, fuel, fresh water, lp, supplies, pets, clothing, people....you're just guessing and your guess is as good as mine. why not just assume your axles will be at max load..gross axle weight rating (GAWR)? of course that'll also be a guess. do it the right way.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The 5-5300# for sure.