cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel fuel additive for long term storage

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2018 Mercedes Sprinter3500 with the v6 diesel and was wondering what is recommended in the way of fuel additive by you guys for long term storage. The fuel in the tank now is about 6 months old and with the appearance of the corona virus it looks like I'll be several months before the rv will be on the road again.
13 REPLIES 13

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I had a diesel I would do as Ducktape and ScottG say.

We can't let the rv sit for long periods of time. We're in the 'Grit dog' crowd, we use our rv all year long for lunch or dinner outings. We cook our food at home, hop in the rv, drive somewhere like a park , don't even have to get out of the rig. No other human contact and not worried about catching anything while driving. I drive at 65 mph, COVID-19 only travels at 55 mph .

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, put it in. Fill the tank and drive long enough that the biocide circulates through the system.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for your input. I'm ordering some Biobor JF from Amazon and will use it as a preventative treatment as soon as I get it. Better safe than sorry.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Ductape wrote:
Biobor JF.

X2.
As someone who has had the fungus (with ULSD), I can tell you this little bit of ins. is well worth it.

+1. SOP for me is always a biocide and circulation in the fuel system before storage. I use Powerclean Biocide but any brand will do.

I too went through the algae issue and I did all the work myself and the parts alone were north of $1000.00. If it was a shop, probably 3+

All it takes is one time and then the bottle of biocide looks pretty cheap.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Ductape wrote:
Biobor JF.

X2.
As someone who has had the fungus (with ULSD), I can tell you this little bit of ins. is well worth it.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Very likely 5 cycle= 5 CYLINDER.The inline 5 was the engine used in the Sprinter prior to the V6.
Brett Wolfe

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
midnightsadie wrote:
nothing. mine sits all winter oct to may .fires right up .MB 5cycle diesel.

I know about the first 4 cycles, intake (1), compression (2), power (3), and exhaust (4). but what's the 5th cycle?

Rest? LOL

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Take a little drive and burn up the old fuel? Seems pretty simple if you're worried about it....unless YOU have the corona virus, in which case, take a drive or go camping in a few weeks when you feel better.

Why people are postponing camping trips, which are possibly the best possible social distancing you could do (unless you're a sardine can camper), is mind boggling. Especially out west where there's plenty of place open to camp and the weather is now nice.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
With the mandated bio content in most areas, YES diesel does need some "care and feeding".

If storing more than 2 months in summer or 3 months in winter, add a BIOCIDE, such as the Biobor JF mentioned above.

If storing summer grade diesel (i.e. purchased before winter) and you plan to store it into below freezing temperatures, add an ANTI-GEL (like PS brand available at Walmarts, etc).

And ALWAYS store with the fuel tank totally full to minimize condensation.
Brett Wolfe

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Biobor JF.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

ronfisherman
Nothing, other than making sure fuel tank is full.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

pushtoy_2
Explorer
Explorer
ernie1 wrote:
I have a 2018 Mercedes Sprinter3500 with the v6 diesel and was wondering what is recommended in the way of fuel additive by you guys for long term storage. The fuel in the tank now is about 6 months old and with the appearance of the corona virus it looks like I'll be several months before the rv will be on the road again.
the low sulfer fuel isnt as proned to the bacteria growing in it as the old fuel was.in the spring just change the fuel filter and your good to go
DREAMER FMCA200924
GS Life member

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
nothing. mine sits all winter oct to may .fires right up .MB 5cycle diesel.