cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sold our Vegas 24.1 and now looking bigger

warrenjo46
Explorer
Explorer
We just sold our 2015 Vegas motorhome and now we are looking for something we can live in three to six months at a time. Several older Newmar (2000+-) rigs look about right for what we have to spend (under $45,000). I have a couple of questions about them.

First, LP generators were standard based on a brochure I looked at. Is this correct? Are LP generators a good deal?

Do these coaches have 3 jacks or 4?

Any other comments about the older Newmar motorhomes well be appreciated.

Thanks,

Warren
7 REPLIES 7

H___E
Explorer
Explorer
Last year bought a 2001 Newmar Dutch Star. It is 40' and very comfortable to spend several months in. Last summer we did 7K miles in 16 states in four months. If possible get a washer & vented dryer. Drive a few gas and diesel pusher units to determine if the extra cost of a diesel is worth it for the type of traveling you are planning. Gen is diesel. Leveling system has four jacks. Good luck shopping.

warrenjo46
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply's. That is about what I thought.
Warren

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 2012 Bay Star has a gas generator (gas motorhome). I wouldn't want my generator to be LP fueled. If you're looking at a DP, then look for one with a diesel fueled generator.

In our search for a gas motorhome, we definitely felt that Newmar and Tiffin units were our first choices followed by Winnebago/Itasca. If searching for a DP, there would be more choices and I have no experience with DPs.
Good luck in your search!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
The downside to an LP genset is that they require LP of course and the LP tanks are smaller than typical gensets that run on the same fuel the coach uses. So you have to find spots to fill up your LP more often than what a typical Rv uses LP. With a genset that runs on your coach's fuel, it's taken care of when you fill up normally. Nothing wrong with them mechanically but personally I wouldn't have one due to the hassle of filling LP more often with less capacity.

+1 on this....

Al

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
IMO it is a good time to be a buyer.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
The downside to an LP genset is that they require LP of course and the LP tanks are smaller than typical gensets that run on the same fuel the coach uses. So you have to find spots to fill up your LP more often than what a typical Rv uses LP. With a genset that runs on your coach's fuel, it's taken care of when you fill up normally. Nothing wrong with them mechanically but personally I wouldn't have one due to the hassle of filling LP more often with less capacity.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
at one time, IIRC, some newmars with a fiberglass roof had two or three pieces, not seamless, and was another potential leakage point. don't know if anybody ever had a problem however.
I thought that the LP gen set was because it was in a diesel.
bumpy