cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canadian health Insurance

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
This is a heads up for all Canadians that have a travel health policy. Even if it is a group policy. Some insurers are saying that your coverage has ended yesterday. Some are saying you still have coverage but not for the Virus. Some are giving you 10 days from Trudeau's announcement. Some will extend the 10 days if you have a valid reason ( like being in quarantine). I have no idea what the provinces are doing. If they don't provide coverage your travel policy is null and void. This is serious. I We are headed to HMO right away to see what is happening in the big city. If the stores are not jammed we might just take a chance and stay. We are more worried about the drive from Tucson to Manitoba. Hard to not have some minimal contact with other people. And by the time we get back will the health system be able to handle the crisis? Hard to think straight under duress. Sonora announced a bunch of new rules concerning bars and meetings, etc. But no mention of canceling Semana santa. We get upwards of 40,000 people in our pueblo!

Moisheh
7 REPLIES 7

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
moisheh wrote:
Noteven: Who is your insurer? Have you read the policy? Seems odd that one of those companies would actually be doing the right thing!

Moisheh

TuGo. I received a direct email from them explaining their coverage with respect to Covid-19. I contacted my broker who confirmed the information.

As the other party in the contract I am doing my due diligence to avoid a โ€œknown riskโ€ using common sense.

MODERATOR'S EDIT: Per the site Admin's request, I am closing all COVID-19 threads and directing future comments to one thread in Around the Campfire.

2019โ€“20 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Noteven: Who is your insurer? Have you read the policy? Seems odd that one of those companies would actually be doing the right thing!

Moisheh

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
And some insurers, like mine, say you are covered as per your contract if you left Canada before March 13/20.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œSome are saying you still have coverage but not for the Virus.โ€

Insurance coverages are in writing...not as some are saying.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
This is a heads up for all Canadians that have a travel health policy. Even if it is a group policy. Some insurers are saying that your coverage has ended yesterday. Some are saying you still have coverage but not for the Virus. Some are giving you 10 days from Trudeau's announcement. Some will extend the 10 days if you have a valid reason ( like being in quarantine). I have no idea what the provinces are doing. If they don't provide coverage your travel policy is null and void. This is serious. I We are headed to HMO right away to see what is happening in the big city. If the stores are not jammed we might just take a chance and stay. We are more worried about the drive from Tucson to Manitoba. Hard to not have some minimal contact with other people. And by the time we get back will the health system be able to handle the crisis? Hard to think straight under duress. Sonora announced a bunch of new rules concerning bars and meetings, etc. But no mention of canceling Semana santa. We get upwards of 40,000 people in our pueblo!

Moisheh
If you can get away from the media panic you can use math to comfort yourself for your trip. There are 327 million people in the US out of which there are 5216 confirmed cases of the virus. That means only one out of every 62,000 people you meet have a confirmed case. Even if the infection rate is 100 times greater than being reported you have only a one in 600 chance of any person you encounter being infected. And of course, encountering an infected person does not automatically mean you will become infected. Finally, the vast majority of people who become infected will not require hospitalization. For most it is either without symptoms or their symptoms peak at something between a bad cold and a bout of the flu. Older persons with serious existing health problems are at most risk of hospitalization, but then again, they were most at risk for hospitalization before COVID19 ever appeared. Overflowing hospitals are a worst case scenario that makes great headlines. But in has not happened in South Korea and the virus apparently is in retreat in China without infecting most of their 1 billion plus citizens. Both the US and Canada have exceptional healthcare facilities and an overall population that is healthier than the hard hit countries. The final impacts are almost assuredly going to be much less than those worse case scenarios.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
What is more important......
Having/maintaining your healthcare coverage
OR
Staying put and wondering 'what if'

You are in control....be proactive
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
I would go to where I am covered by insurance.