cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new TIP without leaving Mexico

northsloper
Explorer
Explorer
We want to extend our stay in Tres Amigos RV on the Isla in Mazatlán beyond the 180 day limit. No reason to go home to Washington state. Heck, can't even go to our favorite drinking establishment. Can we go to KM 21 on Mex-15 turn in our paperwork then do it all again without crossing the border? Don't want to risk a border closure as we we'll be leaving the coach back at the Isla
Thanks Drew
6 REPLIES 6

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
That person would not be breaking any regulations. The car permit is not once every 12 months. If they give her a new FMM then obviously it is OK. So my advice is not wrong. I am glad that the one poster is pure. Anyone that is a regular traveler to Mexico knows that many times you have to swallow your purity and be creative. That is the norm in Mexico. If you got stopped by a Transito for no reason and he was hinting at Mordida. Would you stand your ground? If you did and he said follow me to the police station would you do so? If the Jefe explained that you must pay the fine and a fee bringing the total to $200.00 or he gave you the option of staying in the jail until the Judge shows up tomorrow what would you do? You have 2 choices: pay the so called fine with no receipt or go to jail. Something similar to this happened to a friend about 18 years ago. He was lucky that the owner of the Trailer park knew the judge. He did stay the night but paid nada.

Moisheh

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Sr. Moisheh, you are correct on the vehicle being allowed in Mexico twice in the same year, the problem is the persons visa, that one can only be issued once for 180 days in a 365 day period as a tourist so this limits the vehicle being in Mexico to 180 days also, this does not apply to foreighn persons studying in Mexico.

navegator

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
When I’m in Mexico I follow Mexican law. When I’m in the US I follow federal and state law.

I DON’T do what “hundreds” do if the action is outside of the law. For you to advocate differently is wrong, disingenuous and dangerous to others.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
You could also cross the border at KM21 and not turn in your papers. Hundreds of people do this with no trouble. But they do not have a car permit. If you have car papers turn them in as usual, then park in the lot on the other side of the road and start all over again. If you are worried then go a little further after turning in your papers and park on a Pemex lot and cross the next day. I have never heard of anyone being turned away. I do not think there is any rule regarding your vehicles being in Mexico twice in one year.

Moisheh

Talleyho69
I would say a definite probably. I wouldn't advertise that that is what you were doing, and you should also consider, if there are two of you, changing who's name the permit is in, assuming both names are on the registration/title.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Give it a try IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad