Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Brand New Vizio 40 inch TV problem, HELP
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Brand New Vizio 40 inch TV problem, HELP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Tom_M

New Hope, MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/20 04:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cloud Dancer, does your sat receiver have an HDMI output? If it does you should use that. Here's a picture of a basic DirecTV receiver. The coax connects to the "OUT TO TV" connector from the receiver and goes to the coax connector on your TV. Once this is connected make sure the receiver is one and do a channel scan on the TV. Your TV will find only one channel, either channel 3 or 4. This is an analog TV signal. This scan will probably take a long time because typical TVs will scan for both analog and digital channels,so wait until the scan is completely finished. It does not scan channels on your cable box which is hooked to the HDMI.

[image]

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/20 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lryrob9301 wrote:

Wait Wait, you cannot connect a DirecTV receiver to a new tv using the coax port. The coax port is for OTA antenna or un-encripted cable only. The DirecTV receiver must be connected to the tv via a HDMI port. The tuner connected to the coax port in the tv cannot decode the signal from any DirecTV receiver.

This post is incorrect. Please ignore.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/20 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you felt that the TV was defective you could have taken it back to any Wal*Mart provided you had the receipt of some other proof ie credit card statement or whatever.
They don't care what store you bought it from.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/20 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cloud Dancer. You only need one coax input for your TV to work properly with a DirecTV receiver, assuming the DTV receiver has ONLY a coax output and that coax output reads something like Sat. Out or Out to TV. In the TV settings you should be able to select various input options like HDMI 1,HDMI 2, Antenna (or TV) and likely a couple of other options. You need to select the Antenna option (not cable) and with the DirecTV box on do a NEW Channel scan (search or similar). When it's complete it should show it found only a couple of channels (maybe only 1). Pushing the channel up/down button should get you to channel 3.0 or 4.0 which is where the DTV receiver output will be found.

ryoung

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/20 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Precise instructions from Vizio HERE

ryoung

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/20 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cloud Dancer wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Just a thought because we have a Vizio on the camper, did you make sure you selected "Cable" and not "Antenna" when you selected the source? Ours has that selection and nothing happens if the cable is hooked up and you select "Antenna".

This would be such a simple solution,....if only this Vizio had more than one place to connect two(2) co-ax cables.
BTW all of this is in a BRICK House. The Dutch Star is a different subject (it's a 2003 model with the original CRT type Sony TVs).
FWIW, my Vizio, that I have to select either "Antenna" or "Cable" also only has one coax connection. I have to change the setting on the TV depending on what I have connected to that single Coax input.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/20 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Cloud Dancer wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Just a thought because we have a Vizio on the camper, did you make sure you selected "Cable" and not "Antenna" when you selected the source? Ours has that selection and nothing happens if the cable is hooked up and you select "Antenna".

This would be such a simple solution,....if only this Vizio had more than one place to connect two(2) co-ax cables.
BTW all of this is in a BRICK House. The Dutch Star is a different subject (it's a 2003 model with the original CRT type Sony TVs).
FWIW, my Vizio, that I have to select either "Antenna" or "Cable" also only has one coax connection. I have to change the setting on the TV depending on what I have connected to that single Coax input.

If Cloud Dancers cable box outputs on channel 3 or 4, it needs to be on “Antenna”.

Here’s what I found on how to change the mode:

How do I change my Vizio TV from cable to antenna?
How To Scan For Antenna Channels
1. Press the Menu button on your Vizio remote.
2. Go to “Tuner” and press OK on the remote.
3. The menu will have “Tuner Mode” listed at the top. Make sure this is set to Antenna. If it says Cable then change it to Antenna.
4. Select “Auto Channel Scan” and press the OK button.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/20 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP needs a new receiver. SD won't be around long.

* This post was edited 03/18/20 11:34am by 2oldman *

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/20 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

Cloud Dancer. You only need one coax input for your TV to work properly with a DirecTV receiver, assuming the DTV receiver has ONLY a coax output and that coax output reads something like Sat. Out or Out to TV. In the TV settings you should be able to select various input options like HDMI 1,HDMI 2, Antenna (or TV) and likely a couple of other options. You need to select the Antenna option (not cable) and with the DirecTV box on do a NEW Channel scan (search or similar). When it's complete it should show it found only a couple of channels (maybe only 1). Pushing the channel up/down button should get you to channel 3.0 or 4.0 which is where the DTV receiver output will be found.

On the back of this 40" Vizio model V405-G9 it has ports USB-2.0, HDMI-3, HDMI-2, HDMI-1(ARC), and one(1) CO-AX port marked CABLE/ANTENNA.
The Direct TV small receiver is model D12-100 without HDMI port.
The input options displayed in a line on the screen are: SMARTCAST, Watch Free, HDMI-1, 2 & 3 , COMP, & 1-CABLE
Yes, I know how to select the input I need.
My next step is to learn to perform the scan operation for the Direct TV channels. Thanks, I will report later.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/20 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to wnjj for the instructions. It'll take me a while.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Brand New Vizio 40 inch TV problem, HELP
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.