Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How how do I find my tongue capacity?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  B+

> How how do I find my tongue capacity?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/20 12:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How much farther out is the motorcycle's CG from the point a trailer ball would be at? Extra distance there means extra torque on the hitch, which I think would imply some derating of whatever the factory tongue weight rating is. How much derating is a bit tricky to determine offhand; it depends on where you figure the axis of rotation would be for the torque applied, and what its limitations might be, etc.

Also be aware of the effect this would have on your wheel loadings; the load on the rear wheels will increase by more than the weight of the motorcycle (and the front wheels unload some) due to the leverage due to the rear overhang of the motorhome. If you're fairly close to the axle rating already, you could easily go over.

(Based on carrying a bicycle on a rack on the back of my motorhome, the motorcycle would not stay any too clean!)

FunTwoDrv

NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/20 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Way back in our earlier years we had a 250cc Yamaha we carried on a 20' C. Although it was probably only about 200#'s, when mounted on the back it made the steering a bit "light"feeling. We finally moved it to the front bumper and handling was far better.

Gary

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  B+

> How how do I find my tongue capacity?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.