Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prepaid Mobile Phone and Service in Canada

RV2019
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I will be staying in Wheatley, ON this year.

Does anybody know of a prepaid/temporary mobile phone & plan which will work there without major hassle around it?

I would prefer to get the phone while still in the US so that it can be set up (online is probably required).

I might not have internet access when entering Canada, and by the time I find a place with Wifi, I could just drive to my destination, and then I would not need a phone.

I don't need a mobile phone there at all, I have folks coming in from overseas, they inquired about it so they can call us. For them it is a 1 hour drive from the airport, so they do not need one. It is just their preference.

As said, if there is a little hassle option I would go for it, otherwise I will be fine.

Thank you.
10 REPLIES 10

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
RV2019, so you don't have a US cell phone?
Why else would you want a Canadian prepaid cellphone?
If you're not going to use your current cell in Canada (you're one of the 16 people left in first world countries that don't use cell phones apparently) why get a prepaid one? Just suck up the roaming charges for that one "important" call.
Or if you might actually use the phone, get international service added for a few bucks a month.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
RV2019 wrote:
Hello,

I have folks coming in from overseas,

Yeah definitely not.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
RV2019 wrote:
Hello,

I will be staying in Wheatley, ON this year.

Yeah, probably not.

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
Att prepaid has Mexico and Canada coverage we did a plan through Walmart with z25 gigs of data and hot spot for cheap
Winnebago Access 24V

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
We have an AT&T sim card in our cell phone, we use it in the US and in Canada it pairs with Rogers. We use it back in Canada. It's a monthly pay as you go system, you can move the data up or down as your needs change. I use the phone as a wifi hotspot as well. You can get the SIM card at WalMart then sign on to the AT&T website.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
There is free wifi all over Canada, it is not hard to find. Most libraries, museums, visitor Centers have free hot spots, and a lot of other places as well.
For example, there is a small town of 2000 people in the mountains that we do a lot of camping near and the little sidewalk coffee shops, the local grocery store, their museum and library to name a few all have free wifi.
Let’s hope the border is opened up again for visitors by this summer.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
Cricket includes Canada and Mexico as standard coverage. It is an ATT MVNO that has contracts with the big Canadian telcos.

RV2019
Explorer
Explorer
This summer? You are way ahead. 🙂

Thank you, I will check it out. Hopefully I can find the phone models which work and then maybe get a used one.

I told the folks coming over to check for possible international coverage on their phone (most do as phone service is very advanced over there). It would be cheaper and better to pay additional for that, rather than buying something here and then wasting it.

Again, thank you.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“I have folks coming in from overseas,..”

Are you sure?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
Cricket, We used it this summer for 3-4 months both as our phone and hot spot. No problem whatsoever. They calin you need to use 50% of your usage in US but we sure didn't and others haven't and there have ben no repercussions.