Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Recreational Border Crossing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Recreational Border Crossing

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/20 09:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob806 wrote:

I made reservations for Fundy NP, Cape breton Highlands NP a month ago, and was planning on a few Provincial Parks in Nova Scotia as well.

Wait & see is all we can do. They'll probably refund the money due to circumstances.

Good luck, and hope it works out for you. Those places are among our best for amazing for scenery, and an unforgettable vacation.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/20 09:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mockturtle wrote:

So glad I went to Alaska last summer!

Aye, matey, it was great in 2016, too.

Flapper

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/20 09:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob806 wrote:

I made reservations for Fundy NP, Cape breton Highlands NP a month ago, and was planning on a few Provincial Parks in Nova Scotia as well.

Wait & see is all we can do. They'll probably refund the money due to circumstances.

Yep, me too - have a few reservations in Fundy, NS, and PEI.
Last year Dorian canceled the trip for us. Now this. Not actually canceling yet, but since trip is mid-June to mid-July, odds are pretty good I will be doing so in a month or two. Probably will not bother with the April 2 reservation opening date for one of the CG's I wanted to get in to....

2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/20 09:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

Everything is (was?) less expensive in the US before this mess, even with our feeble loonie.

The only items I found less expensive in usa were eggs and gasoline. I'm comparing Florida to Saskatchewan.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bob806

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 06:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Flapper and MDKMDK.

We have been wanting to visit the area & check out the Fundy tides for quite some time. If it gets canceled due to circumstances, we'll just (hopefully) adjust, and keep a similar itinerary in 2021. Maybe even add a Gros Morne trip if we can squeeze it in.

Flapper

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/20 07:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob806 wrote:

Thanks Flapper and MDKMDK.

We have been wanting to visit the area & check out the Fundy tides for quite some time. If it gets canceled due to circumstances, we'll just (hopefully) adjust, and keep a similar itinerary in 2021. Maybe even add a Gros Morne trip if we can squeeze it in.

My wife insists it is all Anne of Green Gables fault. She REALLY doesn't want us to come visit! Hurricanes and now Pandemics.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:

Everything is (was?) less expensive in the US before this mess, even with our feeble loonie.

The only items I found less expensive in usa were eggs and gasoline. I'm comparing Florida to Saskatchewan.

Cottage cheese, sour cream, brick/sliced/grated cheese, baby carrots, half and half, all cheaper before the crash. Clothing (Walmart), housewares (JC Penney/Kohls), tools (Harbor Freight/HD/Lowes), furniture (Art Van, ABC), Amazon stuff that can be ordered online, almost everything. The only thing that isn't that much cheaper is high end electronics, audio, video, computers, automotive. The accessories are cheaper. Most car parts, too.
This is comparing Ontario/Michigan at the border, with a C$0.75 dollar. However, some stuff is still cheaper in the US, even with a C$0.69 dollar, our stuff is marked up that much. Some Ontario businesses gouge us mercilessly, and some businesses lower prices to compete, if they're close to a border town. If you're not on the border, located somewhere inland in Ontario, you'll probably pay even more at home than across the border. We used to be in that boat.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh you mean “consumer buying more stuff to go with my stuff I already have” travel.

I haven’t met too many US citizens traveling western Canada in search of more pots and pans and a bigger TV. Most seem to enjoy seeing the beautiful scenery, the elbow room, and meeting friendly people.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 11:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

Oh you mean “consumer buying more stuff to go with my stuff I already have” travel.

I haven’t met too many US citizens traveling western Canada in search of more pots and pans and a bigger TV. Most seem to enjoy seeing the beautiful scenery, the elbow room, and meeting friendly people.

Please re-read the comments you're referring to.
The comments were about Canadians (us) cross border shopping in the US (them).

Their stuff is usually cheaper than the same items here, even after you convert the $ forex difference. Compare HomeDepot.com versus HomeDepot.ca on 2 identical items, for example. Their price is less than ours, after $ conversion.
When they visit Canada, at our regular prices (in Canada), they'll pay more (here, in Canada), even when their dollar is a lot stronger than ours. For (Canadian) gas, hotels, campgrounds, food, just about everything. Just like we get gouged at home (again, just to be clear, in Canada).

almcc

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/20 12:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

noteven wrote:

Please re-read the comments you're referring to.
The comments were about Canadians (us) cross border shopping in the US (them).

Their stuff is usually cheaper than the same items here, even after you convert the $ forex difference. Compare HomeDepot.com versus HomeDepot.ca on 2 identical items, for example. Their price is less than ours, after $ conversion.
When they visit Canada, at our regular prices (in Canada), they'll pay more (here, in Canada), even when their dollar is a lot stronger than ours. For (Canadian) gas, hotels, campgrounds, food, just about everything. Just like we get gouged at home (again, just to be clear, in Canada).

Just to throw in another comment! While prices may be cheaper I find food quality in the US is not as good as it is in Canada. I'm not talking about food safety but just general quality. I've noticed this particularly this past winter, the quality of meat (steaks) isn't what we get get back home at the regular grocery stores. I've noticed other items are similar. You do get what you pay for!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Recreational Border Crossing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.