cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What size of fifth wheel to accomidate my 3/4 truck...

ProbablyOverloa
Explorer
Explorer
So I've been doing alot of research lately in regards to ratings of fifth wheels to accomidate my 3/4 ram. I'm pretty sure this unit would be inside the specs. I'm only going to relocate from site to site and never travel with loaded tanks or much gear. Its just me and primarily a place to stay for work.

Details:
2019 ram 2500 crew cab 4 x 4 diesel
Gvwr: 10000 lb
Gcwr: 27000 lb
Base weight: 7515 lb

Gawr front 6000 lb
Gawr rear 6040 lb

Rear axle weight is currently 3085 lb wet

The 5th wheel I'm looking at:
2019 Keystone RV Laredo 340FL
13000 lb gvwr
2220 lb pin weight

I was originally looking at larger models but with my limited payload of the diesel I had to re-evaulate, this was the smallest front living room option I found which is what I want.
34 REPLIES 34

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
From my experience in BC you cannot exceed your GVWR,I TRIED, NO WAY.You can deregistera 3500 below the 11600 for a srw to use as personal business and pleasure, at 11800 gvwr i was looking at a log book for personal business use exceeding 6 days a month use.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^ I figure if those who prepared the government fact sheet can't interpret the Motor Vehicle Act and Regulations properly I'm not even going to try.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The clicky is a fact sheet and not a enforceable weight code. There are 3-4 versions floating around RV websites but they all say the same thing down towards the bottom of the fact sheet they all say quote...
BC info sheet
**Information on this Info sheet is subject to
change without notice. In the event of
conflict with this Info Sheet and the Motor
Vehicle Act and Regulations, the
Acts and Regulations shall apply**
Now go to BC MVA Regulations for actual code wording and proper registration numbers for any size vehicle.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
JIMNLIN wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
So If I were a resident of BC with my 14k DRW that has a SAE rated RAWR of 9,750# and I loaded it to that and didn't add a single pound to my front axle weight of 5,250# bringing my actual loaded weight to 15k what would happen???

Nothing according to IBC motor vehicle act if you had 15k GVWR registration;
Maximum gross weight for axles
**7.16 (1) A person must not, without an overload permit, drive or operate on a highway a vehicle loaded or configured so that

(a) the gross weight on an axle exceeds the manufacturer's rated capacity for that axle or for the brake or suspension system with which the axle is equipped, ...**

And of course we know in BC you may register your truck at a GVWR which can be the sum of the vehicle mfg axle ratings or the vehicle mfg GVWR.

Most rv folks are assuming BC GVWR registration has to be the door sticker GVWR number.

Thanks!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
This applies to Rv tow vehicles with a GVWR of under 12,100 lbs.

For a clearer image click

B&W Companion

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
JIMNLIN wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
So If I were a resident of BC with my 14k DRW that has a SAE rated RAWR of 9,750# and I loaded it to that and didn't add a single pound to my front axle weight of 5,250# bringing my actual loaded weight to 15k what would happen???

**7.16 (1) A person must not, without an overload permit, drive or operate on a highway a vehicle loaded or configured so that

(a) the gross weight on an axle exceeds the manufacturer's rated capacity for that axle or for the brake or suspension system with which the axle is equipped, ...**

And of course we know in BC you may register your truck at a GVWR which can be the sum of the vehicle mfg axle ratings or the vehicle mfg GVWR.

Most rv folks are assuming BC GVWR registration has to be the door sticker GVWR number.

You might be right but what you're saying doesn't seem logical to me.... obviously things don't have to be logical to be legal. In Alberta we can register our vehicle for whatever number we tell them at the registries office. We can't exceed our registered weight but if we are registered for 100,000 lbs and our axle ratings are only good for 10,000 ..... The 100,000 lb registration number doesn't mean much. Conversely, if we are registered for 10,000 lbs and our allowable axle limit is 100,000 lbs the allowable axle rating doesn't buy us anything.
B&W Companion

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
This:
19.11 (1)Unless operating under the provisions of an overload permit issued under the Commercial Transport Act, no person shall operate or cause to be operated a vehicle that is loaded in such a manner that the gross weight carried by any axle exceeds the gross weight rating for that axle as specified by the vehicle manufacturer, or the gross vehicle weight exceeds the gross vehicle weight rating for that vehicle as specified by the vehicle manufacturer.

(2)The weight distribution of a bus shall be such that not less than 25 per cent of the gross vehicle weight is on the front axle when measured on level ground.

(3)Subsection (1) does not apply to a vehicle

(a)manufactured before January 1, 2001, and

(b)having a gross vehicle weight rating of 5 500 kg or less.

clicky

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you were grossly over weight such that it was obvious that your frame was sitting on your axle bumpers BC law could weigh you and use the trucks gvwr number to validate their claim that you are over weight. It will never come into play with someone who is weighted to within their axle ratings.
B&W Companion

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Nothing. You'd never be pulled over and weighed because your headlights are not pointing to the moon.

My point is how can one be fined when the actual SAE ratings are NOT being exceeded!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Nothing. You'd never be pulled over and weighed because your headlights are not pointing to the moon.
B&W Companion

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
Remember it all boils down to ....they make little trucks for little trailer and big trucks for big trailers. Get a trailer that falls within the manufacturers weight limits.

Ignore the folks that tell you I pull a bigger trailer with my little truck and they cannot give you any weights on the truck and trailer.

Ken

x2

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Remember it all boils down to ....they make little trucks for little trailer and big trucks for big trailers. Get a trailer that falls within the manufacturers weight limits.

Ignore the folks that tell you I pull a bigger trailer with my little truck and they cannot give you any weights on the truck and trailer.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III