cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question for those out on the road now

dalej
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about doing some traveling. I usually avoid spring break time. Are those of you out on the road seeing a lot of college age folks.

Particularly interested to hear from those of you in northern New Mexico, Big Bend or coast of Texas.
2005 Chevy HD2500, ext cab, 4x4, 8.1, allison,lwb,srw, 265 75 16's, timbrens
18 REPLIES 18

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Earlier reports were, and still are to some extent, that young people are less vulnerable to the illness, might have a much less severe bout, might not even know they are sick, might not show signs or symptoms and will recover faster. Young being under 25, and the risk goes up with age.
Young people think they are invincible as a result and are being careless, not knowing the truth in full, or the long term consequenses, which nobody knows, and not caring that they will infect others if they are carriers unknowingly.
If you are older, then avoid places frequented by youth and college students. They might be brain dead to begin with and might have voted for a communist kind-of-thing, so unable to think rationally.
Incubation periods reported to last 24 days, so carriers can spread a lot in that time. Recovered patients can still spread for a period after.
Illness does not equal immunity either.
This is what we are being told about the current virus.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
dalej wrote:
Please limit comments to question I asked. Thanks

Sorry it doesnโ€™t work that way!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rocky2 wrote:
Has anyone run into problems with gas stations being closed? I wonder if Oregon will consider allowing people to pump their own fuel if employees are not able to work.

Drive a Diesel you can pump your own.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Deb and Ed M wrote:
From what we are seeing here in FL - the Spring Break kids are NOT following any Social distancing guidelines. They seem to pride themselves in breaking them, actually. Hopefully the private RV parks will enforce the guidelines?

Per today's news, the Florida governor has put the kibosh on the beach parties. Good for him!!

It just depends: some counties have closed the beaches. The Central East coast beaches are open, but the parking lots are not (so the kids simply walk in). Bars are closed - restaurants are mostly take-out. Orange County just enacted a curfew.

It's hard to turn away Spring Break dollars - possibly to the detriment of the most vulnerable residents?
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dalej wrote:
I usually avoid spring break time. Are those of you out on the road seeing a lot of college age folks.

Particularly interested to hear from those of you in northern New Mexico

Last time I lived in northern NM, it was not a spring break hot spot, lol.
Doubt it is now either.
Use your googler, spring break is happening. But you don't need to be scared of those pesky college kids...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Deb and Ed M wrote:
From what we are seeing here in FL - the Spring Break kids are NOT following any Social distancing guidelines. They seem to pride themselves in breaking them, actually. Hopefully the private RV parks will enforce the guidelines?

Per today's news, the Florida governor has put the kibosh on the beach parties. Good for him!!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

egrove
Explorer
Explorer
There was a video yesterday by a local TV station showing Clearwater beach full of people, assuming mostly spring break crowd? Today they closed the beach down, and more in the area following suit. If people can't act sensibly on their own, the government will do it for them!
Eric Grove
Dallastown, PA
2019 Tiffin Open Road Allegro 34PA

View an online map showing campgrounds in the US

Add a Visited States Map to your signature

salem
Explorer
Explorer
San Luis Obispo County, on the central coast of California, is on "lockdown status." Restaurants are all closed as of 5:00 PM today. Some will have take-out only. Bars, etc. all closed.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Wednesday - 3/18 - from Conroe to north of Canton

I-45 traffic normal for a mid-week middle of the day. Buc-ee's looked to have normal crowds, truck stops looked about normal. Both locations of Woody's Smokehouse had normal number of cars in the parking lots. Did not see anything closed?

Number of RV's on the interstate seemed lower than normal.

But I'm not anywhere near Corpus, Galveston or South Padre - and I never plan to be there.

As you probably know, much of Texas normal Spring Break is past, and the late March and April out of state folks are mostly college kids who fly in.

Did find the non-interstate part of our travel with all the schools closed weird. Lot of flashing school zone lights. And by Texas law, you better slow down even if the school is closed.

A week ago the RV parks we stayed at were full of kids, the pools full, etc.

By Monday, pools were closed. No groups of kids playing volleyball, baseball/kickball, basketball. A lot of kids, and adults, sitting outside their RV in the 80+ degree weather, looking unhappy.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
New Mexico has closed their state parks and campgrounds - other states (like Florida) are following suit. There is a long list of military campgrounds who are not allowing campers to come in who are not already there. Our son in Cincinnati says Ohio is considering stopping all through traffic at the state lines. I think it would be foolish to try to plan unnecessary travel at this time.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

dalej
Explorer
Explorer
A visit to any coast does not sound like a good idea right now. Just heard that things are really slowing down in the Big Bend of Texas.
2005 Chevy HD2500, ext cab, 4x4, 8.1, allison,lwb,srw, 265 75 16's, timbrens

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Young people seem to be ignoring a lot of the recommendations and feel invincible. It all sounds so familiar.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
dalej wrote:
Thinking about doing some traveling. I usually avoid spring break time. Are those of you out on the road seeing a lot of college age folks.

Particularly interested to hear from those of you in northern New Mexico, Big Bend or coast of Texas.

I guess you haven't got the memo about unnecessary travel :h