Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

General Question About Routers

Bachelor
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, all. I'm used to always using public wifi hotspots.My wuestion is:
If I wish to obtain a paid service:
1. Does the service supply a device known as a router?
2. If I change location, is the router transportable to the new location?
3. Does the router simply plug in to a 120 volt socket and connect to the computer wirelessly, or are there other wires to contend with?

Thanks in advance for your help to this newbee.
18 REPLIES 18

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Visible.com. Owned by Verizon, but unlimited talk, text, and data for $40 per month including use of hotspot on the cell phone.

visible cell phone plan

I am not using visible now, but if I needed the hotspot I would use Visible.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Verizon offers other "Unlimited" plans that give you more than 15GB per month before throttling. They tend to be REALLY expensive. We have the 15GB plan and can usually manage to get through the month without getting throttled since we have DirecTV for entertainment and don't stream movies, etc. IF all you use it for is email, you can probably get by with 2GB plan. When I was working from home, I burned through about 3GB per day so a mobile hotspot plan was not practical at all. Check your computer to see if it will report your network usage. That can help you get your plan sized properly.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Bachelor
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
Bachelor wrote:
I've used my phone (Verizon)as a hotspot for very brief periods before because I didn't want to exceed data limits. For 2X what I'm paying on my current plan, I could get unlimited data (cost about $70/mo).

I have Verizon's unlimited plan. After 15GB they throttle it to 3G speeds.

Thanks for the "heads up", Dr. Steve.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Bachelor wrote:
I've used my phone (Verizon)as a hotspot for very brief periods before because I didn't want to exceed data limits. For 2X what I'm paying on my current plan, I could get unlimited data (cost about $70/mo).

I have Verizon's unlimited plan. After 15GB they throttle it to 3G speeds.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Bachelor
Explorer
Explorer
pauldub wrote:
If you have a smartphone, it's probably cheaper to just use the phone for a hotspot instead of paying for service for two devices.

You know, I was thinking the same thing. I've used my phone (Verizon)as a hotspot for very brief periods before because I didn't want to exceed data limits. For 2X what I'm paying on my current plan, I could get unlimited data (cost about $70/mo). What held me back is that I was having good results with the free wifi at the place where I was staying. Now, in my new place, the service isn't as good. I wasn't too concerned that it was public wifi since I always use a VPN, and never had any issues.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
pauldub wrote:
If you have a smartphone, it's probably cheaper to just use the phone for a hotspot instead of paying for service for two devices.

Depends on the carrier and the plan. Some have restrictions on data and bandwidth when using the phone as a hotspot, others do not.
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
In answer to your question about changing locations, as long as the carrier your hotspot/router is subscribed to has coverage at the new location, it will work. Many of use hotspots from more than one carrier since none of them have 100% coverage nationwide. Often where one doesn't work or work well, the other one does.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
No problem. So you are looking for a mobile hotspot.

ATT DOES call theirs a mobile hotspot router.

You can usually use your smart phone as hotspot. We opt for a separate device as if one of us goes somewhere the hotspot is still there.

Shop, shop shop. I use OTR Mobile hotspot. It used to be $60/mo unlimited data, no throttling, no contract. It use yo use ATT I neโ€™er stand they switch to T Mobile.

Verizon, ATT, all the cell providers offer various plans. Some are limited, throttle at certain data levels.

You have to decide what kind of a user you are; do you want to stream movies or just check emails.

You can also add a cell signal antenna booster for more speed and a better signal.

Good luck.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Bachelor
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
Are you talking about a cellular solution for internet or an internet connection via cable, like Century Link or Comcast?

It would need to be a celluar solution since I wouldn't be able to deal with a cable connection. Sorry that I'm such a newbee at this.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Bachelor wrote:
Thanks for the replies. It all sounds pretty good.
Further question: can the same router be used with any Internet provider when moving to another location? I presume the answer is yes, just making sure.

These stand alone wireless internet devices are usually referred to as a "hotspot". Usually the device is specific to a given network. This is why some travelers who rely on internet for work have (for example) both a Verizon hotspot, and an AT&T hotspot. If one doesn't work in a particular location, the other might.

These things are like a cell phone, basically. They work with one provider. In fact, some cell providers allow use of your phone as a hotspot.
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Big Katuna wrote:
Are you talking about a cellular solution for internet or an internet connection via cable, like Century Link or Comcast?

Very good question. All cellular mobile hotspots are routers. All routers are not cellular mobile hotspots.
Larry

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Bachelor wrote:
Thanks for the replies. It all sounds pretty good.
Further question: can the same router be used with any Internet provider when moving to another location? I presume the answer is yes, just making sure.
Generally speaking - NO. I've heard some have a SIM card that allows them to switch networks by replacing the SIM card.

FMCA members can sign-up for an Unlimited Data plan through Sprint for $50/month.

My so called Unlimited Verizon plan throttles me after 15GB a month. I can still access the internet but not at the higher speeds allowed in the beginning of the month.

I'm online a bunch and my data usage averages 45GB a month. It's all browsing, email and FB. I haven't streamed any movies while achieving that number.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.