Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yosemite National Park closed

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Just got notification on my e-mail now.

And in the last few days, got also notices of state, country and city parks and campsite closing.
12 REPLIES 12

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Sam, the differences in the timing are probably due to understandable confusion and short staffing. There is an old saying supposedly by Napoleon: "Never attribute to conspiracy that which can be explained by incompetence."

In this crazy time, incompetence is probably an overly-harsh term. I prefer to describe the chaos as "human error caused by extraordinary events."

Hang in there, everyone!!

Indeed!

Nothing political but in these times, I could scream in anger or weep in frustrations in the cacophony of voices about this pandemic. And I wish to tune in to the leadership and directions of the professionals and call everybody else to just shut up.

Getting away from it all for us RVers seems not even anymore an option.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sam, the differences in the timing are probably due to understandable confusion and short staffing. There is an old saying supposedly by Napoleon: "Never attribute to conspiracy that which can be explained by incompetence."

In this crazy time, incompetence is probably an overly-harsh term. I prefer to describe the chaos as "human error caused by extraordinary events."

Hang in there, everyone!!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
If these are in the same timelines, I wonder why they have different advisors between their websites and notifications.

Mine was a result of their cancellation of camp site reservations.

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
Well now it did really happen...

Yosemite National Park is closed
Yosemite National Park is announcing modifications to operations at the request of the local health department. As of 3:00 pm today, Friday, March 20, 2020, Yosemite National Park is closed to all park visitors until further notice. ๐Ÿ˜ž
E.Lee Galik

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œI would not encourage anyone to visit Yosemite ...โ€
โ€œno new reservations are being allowed...โ€

No, you said Yosemite was closed. That was inaccurate.

โ€œYosemite National Park closedโ€ โ€œThemโ€ emailed you.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
This is in my notification:

"Additionally, as a precaution, no new reservations are being allowed for any Yosemite campground between April 1 and May 31."

I would not encourage anyone to visit Yosemite when they don't have the full complements of staff to do maintenance. Like the last time, the park was trashed under almost similar situation in a national shutdown.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Fresno, OP was wrong. Depends on his โ€œemailsโ€ from โ€œthemโ€ as gospel. Thanks for your clarification.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
Alert:
There is 1 notification for this area

Yosemite campgrounds have implemented a closure through May 31st. Current reservations will be honored. No additional reservations are available during this time, and existing reservations cannot be modified to other dates during this period. Visitors with current reservations will not receive an email regarding the closure.

Local managers are committed to the health and safety of recreational visitors and our staff. We are following the guidelines from our agency and the CDC regarding COVID-19, closely monitoring the situation and responding to current conditions. Please continue to monitor this page for status updates.

So it looks like those with upcoming reservations will be allowed into their reserved campsite...
E.Lee Galik

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
From the park website;

Limited services are available in Yosemite National Park
Following guidance from the CDC and recommendations from state and local public health in consultation with NPS Public Health Service officers, visitor centers, museums, campgrounds, hotels, stores, restaurants, and shuttles are closed. Yosemite is open

Looks like you can go in, but little services available and campgrounds are closed.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Not accurate. See https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

โ€œFollowing guidance from the CDC and recommendations from state and local public health in consultation with NPS Public Health Service officers, visitor centers, museums, campgrounds, hotels, stores, restaurants, and shuttles are closed. Yosemite is open.โ€

Who is โ€œthem?โ€

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
It's the notification directly from them that I got and I have no way to dispute it.

It will be a better news though if what you said is the real situation.

It will be prudent, however, to those still planning to make the trip to check it themselves.

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
Might want to check your sources. The park remains open. Only certain facilities are shut down like shuttles, restaurants and lodging...
E.Lee Galik