Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Senior Citizens Speak Up
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Senior Citizens Speak Up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/20 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmm ... as usual a lot of CA-bashing going on here ... or is it sour grapes talking!

My DW is a CA native, and I left Michigan at age 19, moved to CA, and never looked back. Thanks to good old Prop 13, our CA property taxes are way lower than what they would be otherwise and way lower than what they would be in many other "better" states (based on tax comments that I read in these forums). In our situation we pay no (as in zero) state income taxes. We have no mosquitoes. Our average humidity never gets anywhere near 80% or higher, and our mild temperatures are legendary. And, FWIW, in our particular situation none of our stick house power or RV storage power comes from burning anything.

California Prop 13 type laws should be passed in every state, IMHO, so that folks could stay in their stick houses long term if they just happened to want to, and be able to, otherwise. Regarding SS - ours and everybody else's does indeed get adjusted upwards any year whenever a certain inflation index dictates - so it's not "fixed".

As for using a Recreational Vehicle for full-time living in, I'm not sure I'm a fan of using national tax or state tax park dollars to support this. What I do support is use of tax dollars to set aside special areas where folks could full-time live at using RVs (areas kept and maintained much, much better than the Slabs) ... such that maybe true recreational part-time RV'ers could find a spot when they are able to break free and take their RV out for a few days here and there.

* This post was edited 03/21/20 03:01pm by pnichols *

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/20 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve wrote:

A lot of seniors, like me, are living in RVs. If the states and feds close the campgrounds we will be paying higher park rates to stay in crowded private campgrounds that will probably raise rates even more and surely won't be less safe from a health standpoint. I sent a respectful message to the Corps Of Engineers yesterday telling them my opinion. Seniors have clout at the ballot box.

Well head to Quartzsite Arizona or Slab City California, I heard its really cheap there and you can hide out from Covid-19. {china virus}

[emoticon]

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/20 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

As for using a Recreational Vehicle for full-time living in, I'm not sure I'm a fan of using national tax or state tax park dollars to support this.

Well, that can go both ways. I may not be a fan of using national tax or state tax park dollars to support your part-time use either. There's no moral law that says one is right and the other is wrong.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/20 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

As for using a Recreational Vehicle for full-time living in, I'm not sure I'm a fan of using national tax or state tax park dollars to support this. What I do support is use of tax dollars to set aside special areas where folks could full-time live at using RVs (areas kept and maintained much, much better than the Slabs) ... such that maybe true recreational part-time RV'ers could find a spot when they are able to break free and take their RV out for a few days here and there.

What makes your part-time RV use any more "recreational" than my full-time RV use? I worked over 50 years so I could retire and enjoy my remaining years traveling around the country in my RV seeing the sights I missed while working. Why should my 2 week stay at a state park be any different than your 2 week stay? The only difference is where we go home after our stays.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/20 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve wrote:

pnichols wrote:

As for using a Recreational Vehicle for full-time living in, I'm not sure I'm a fan of using national tax or state tax park dollars to support this.

Well, that can go both ways. I may not be a fan of using national tax or state tax park dollars to support your part-time use either. There's no moral law that says one is right and the other is wrong.

Well, to put it bluntly ... IMHO the parks were meant for recreating in here and there ... not for living in week after week on the cheap.

Read up on some of the historic reasons why they were established and I'd be very surprised if the intent was to provide places to live at long term by any one person (other than certain park employees).

* This post was edited 03/21/20 08:52pm by pnichols *

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/20 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

pnichols wrote:

What makes your part-time RV use any more "recreational" than my full-time RV use? I worked over 50 years so I could retire and enjoy my remaining years traveling around the country in my RV seeing the sights I missed while working. Why should my 2 week stay at a state park be any different than your 2 week stay? The only difference is where we go home after our stays.

If your stays are 14 days maximum before you leave and free up that beautiful and pristine spot ... then be my tax dollars guest - here and there. But ... to do it over and over again permanently I think I have a problem with because: Some others of us who may also have worked decades and paid taxes so we could retire and enjoy our remaining years part-time traveling here and there around the country in our RVs - more and more find that the most beautiful and pristine spots are taken up by too many full-time experts already living in them in 14-day chunks - such that they're rarely available for "part-time recreating in" by the rest of us.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In MI you can stay 15 days, then you have to leave for 5 days.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

1duckie4u

California

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/20 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby

More room for the rest of us who can appreciate all the beauty and diversity the state has to offer.

1duckie4u

California

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/20 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Walaby wrote:

DallasSteve wrote:

The plot thickens. The governor of California just issued an order that all Californians must stay home. What if you don't have a home? Or what if your home has wheels? Can you role over to a free state?

If I lived in California and my home had wheels, I woulda been long gone before now.

Mike

As a Californian will tell you, if you are not paying taxes in the state -- and specially if your poor state is being subsidized by their tax money, you have no right to speak about them and it's NOYB![emoticon]

x2

1duckie4u

California

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/20 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

Hmmm ... as usual a lot of CA-bashing going on here ... or is it sour grapes talking!

My DW is a CA native, and I left Michigan at age 19, moved to CA, and never looked back. Thanks to good old Prop 13, our CA property taxes are way lower than what they would be otherwise and way lower than what they would be in many other "better" states (based on tax comments that I read in these forums). In our situation we pay no (as in zero) state income taxes. We have no mosquitoes. Our average humidity never gets anywhere near 80% or higher, and our mild temperatures are legendary. And, FWIW, in our particular situation none of our stick house power or RV storage power comes from burning anything.

California Prop 13 type laws should be passed in every state, IMHO, so that folks could stay in their stick houses long term if they just happened to want to, and be able to, otherwise. Regarding SS - ours and everybody else's does indeed get adjusted upwards any year whenever a certain inflation index dictates - so it's not "fixed".

x2 - I think it's envy disguised as disgust.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Senior Citizens Speak Up
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.