Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Ford, GM, FCA Agree to Shut Down US Plants
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Ford, GM, FCA Agree to Shut Down US Plants

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/20/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/20/20 07:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

GM, Tesla and Ford have now offered to manufacture ventilators.


I wonder how quickly they can tool up to do this. Hopefully this will just be an exercise to see how effectively industry can respond to a pandemic under the Defense Production Act, but I feel like it will be more than that.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

Senior Member

Joined: 09/26/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/20/20 08:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

History has show that in time of war American manufacturers quickly switched their production to military equipment. During WWI a many war items were made in Dayton, Oh in National Cash Registers plant.

* This post was edited 03/20/20 08:31pm by Me Again *


2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!


FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/12/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/20/20 08:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

GM, Tesla and Ford have now offered to manufacture ventilators.


I wonder how quickly they can tool up to do this. Hopefully this will just be an exercise to see how effectively industry can respond to a pandemic under the Defense Production Act, but I feel like it will be more than that.


I agree that hopefully it's just an exercise, but they will probably work with the leading manufactures of these products and simulate their designs and tooling in which I don't think will take too long.


'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"


blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 11/26/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/20/20 10:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Didn’t Ford manufacture planes at one point in time?


2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2004

View Profile






Posted: 03/20/20 10:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blofgren wrote:

Didn’t Ford manufacture planes at one point in time?
Ford tri motor plane.

During WWII Ford built 86,865 complete aircraft, 57,851 airplane engines, 4,291 military gliders and thousands of superchargers and generators. From Ford history site.

Chrysler built 3,352 M-3 tanks 53 percent of the 6,258 built. It built 17,947 of M-4 Sherman tanks 36 percent of the total 49,234 built.

GM converted it's plant to the war effort as well. 12 billion worth of airplanes, trucks, tanks, guns, and shells or 41 percent of war production from auto plants. They converted all 109 plants to the war effort.

Mitsubishi built 10,939 A6M Zero's as well

* This post was last edited 03/20/20 11:26pm by colliehauler *   View edit history

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/12/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/21/20 07:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

blofgren wrote:

Didn’t Ford manufacture planes at one point in time?
Ford tri motor plane.

During WWII Ford built 86,865 complete aircraft, 57,851 airplane engines, 4,291 military gliders and thousands of superchargers and generators. From Ford history site.

Chrysler built 3,352 M-3 tanks 53 percent of the 6,258 built. It built 17,947 of M-4 Sherman tanks 36 percent of the total 49,234 built.

GM converted it's plant to the war effort as well. 12 billion worth of airplanes, trucks, tanks, guns, and shells or 41 percent of war production from auto plants. They converted all 109 plants to the war effort.

Mitsubishi built 10,939 A6M Zero's as well


Ford produced the Willow Run factory in record time to produce the B-24 Bomber.

Link

Link 2

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 11/26/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/21/20 07:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, very interesting!

I truly hope they can get set up and producing quickly. Medical supplies in general are in very short supply right now.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2004

View Profile






Posted: 03/21/20 09:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is one of the reasons why automotive industry should stay in the US instead of moving production overseas, especially China. We have become dependent on overseas manufacturering and when that supply chain is severed it shuts down production.

philh

Belleville MI

Senior Member

Joined: 05/11/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/21/20 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

This is one of the reasons why automotive industry should stay in the US instead of moving production overseas, especially China. We have become dependent on overseas manufacturering and when that supply chain is severed it shuts down production.

More importantly is the equipment that makes die tools. Much of US equipment and knowledge is gone. We are more dependent on China than most realize.

RobertRyan

Australia

Senior Member

Joined: 03/16/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/22/20 04:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Colliehauler wrote:

Mitsubishi built 10,939 A6M Zero's as wel

Mitsubishi Trucks or Fuso, are owned by Mercedes Benz.
What is intetesting their heavier Trucks are not sold in the US. Their MDT versions are
Labelled " The Fighter"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Ford, GM, FCA Agree to Shut Down US Plants
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.