cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Modifications for Wheelchair Traveler

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Having recently experienced a gout incident I have become interested in outfitting my Class B Sprinter to accommodate travel by a solo (powered?) wheelchair user. Mine is the configuration that has a toilet compartment immediately behind the driver's seat. It appears that one of the Ricon lifts would work in the side door and would allow grabbing the side door from the interior to close it after the wheelchair occupant is lifted inside. It is unsure whether grab handles and room would then allow the person to get into the driver's seat. But, in general, do you have a successful T1N (or similar) modification that allows wheelchair travel? If so, please post pictures of your installation and explain your setup.
Currently Between RVs
5 REPLIES 5

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
After checking with Braunability it appears they only sell through dealers (who I suspect only sell with an installation). Does anyone know where I could source a unit?
Currently Between RVs

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Caseyontheroad. The Braunability under-vehicle-lift certainly looks like a valid way to adapt my 2005 Sprinter-based Class B. I think I just need to look under the van to see if my water tank needs to be replaced with a shorter one. This van is super low mileage in the 45k range and I would hate to replace it.
Currently Between RVs

Caseyontheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Sporsmobile has converted some vans with whelchair lifts. You can take a look at their site to see if any of their ideas might be useful for you.
https://sportsmobile.com/conversion-type/mobile-disabled/

They seem to mostly use the Braun Under Vehicle lifts.
https://www.braunability.com/us/en/mobility-products/wheelchair-lifts/under-vehicle-lift.html

If they're compatible with what your OEM has already installed under your van, they'd give you a lot more inside room.

HTH
2007 Roadtrek 170 Popular
1988 VW Westy

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently it can't be done.
Currently Between RVs

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
No response? Is there no "real world" experience applicable to this issue?
Currently Between RVs