cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should we be going?

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
We've (4 couples) have had reservation at a Oklahoma State Park for 5 months for this weekend. Everyone is still going meeting there this afternoon. Our ages range from 54 to 74. One couple saying
there not afraid of catching the virus but concerned of what others think about them out and about. I don't see it's any worse than going to work or grocery shopping probably less likely of catching it. Now if it comes to a lock down that different but until then I'll camp when we can. I'm I thinking wrong?
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate
41 REPLIES 41

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
What being out in the sunshine does is it causes a chemical process that converts cholesterol into vitamin D. Some research has shown that people who suffer from depression have low vitamin D levels. Stress and depression weaken the immune system. So, get out in the sunshine!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Sometimes we can't prevent the disadvantages of a link; but do need to get the info out.

Yep, re sunshine and fresh air; luckily we live on acreage in the country and can, and do, get out everyday.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Moderator wrote:
Sunshine/Virus
mowermech wrote:
Fresh air and sunshine kills the virus.

CAUTION!!! This has not been verified; the data is still very inconclusive.

Thanks you for pointing that out, Moderator. I edited my post to take it away.
However, it IS well known that getting out in the sunshine and fresh air is better for a person than sitting in the house all day. If you stay away from other people, it IS good for you in many ways! Ask your doctor. Removing the "fresh air and sunshine" statement doesn't change the rest of the post.
By the way, when you post a link to something, please do a lot of us a favor and do not post a link that requires a subscription. I could not read your linked article because of my adblocker, so I did a search and found several articles that seemed to agree (more or less, depending on the source) with the link you posted, and which didn't seem to care about adblockers.
Again, thank you for correcting one sentence from my post.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Sunshine/Virus
mowermech wrote:
Fresh air and sunshine kills the virus.

CAUTION!!! This has not been verified; the data is still very inconclusive.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
The USFS/BLM is closing most forest campgrounds here. IMO, that is asinine! The campsites are 50 feet or more apart! Fisherpersons are nearly always over 6 feet apart. If the water systems or outhouse are a problem, shut them down and forbid tent camping; self contained RVs only!
Oddly enough, the campgrounds I am interested in going to have many "boondocking" sites up the creek a ways, completely undeveloped, that are not closed. Only "developed" campgrounds are closed.
Yes, we must protect ourselves and others, but is it really a good thing to throw logic under the bus? I really do not think that is a good idea.
As for the "hugs, kisses, handshakes" issue, I have never been one for shaking hands, and there is only one person in the world that I will hug and kiss, and we live in the same house and sleep in the same bed. Way too late to worry about that now.
Yes, be safe. BUT, please do it intelligently.

By the way, I live in the country. We have a fire pit in the back yard, so we can have a "campfire" any time we want. We can park the motorhome in the pasture and "camp" by ourselves any time we want. We can even hook up electric and water! BUT, fishing in the irrigation ditch is an exercise in futility.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nope. Stay away from other people.
Camp in the backyard.
Boondock.

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Very glad you had a good time. Hope in several weeks everyone is still healthy. To me, nothing is worth my health, particularly a weekend camping trip. DH and I have been camping for over 45 years, and we are "Jonesing" for a campfire, but we won't put our health, or the health of those we love, in any unnecessary jeopardy. Just my thoughts. People do what they want.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
"Take a look around the next time you step outside. What do you see?

I bet you see people getting gas, going to store, picking up food from take out etc...

Dont be silly."
Not where we are in VA! Because so many did exactly what you said, and ignored the potential, we are not in a basic lock down. Yes, we can go get groceries, but only 10 in the store at a time, and often what we need isn't available. There is take out food, but very limited menus and pick up only - with no human contact of any kind. It's not silly. It's real. Please believe it or it will never get much better. Every day more and more people are dying, yes, DYING here. I pray for those in areas where the virus has not invaded that it never gets to you. I really do.
Go and enjoy!!

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Seriously? Like going to get groceries? Way2roll said it best: Dont act as if you might get sick, act as if you are sick! I know the virus isn't a significant issue in Oklahoma, but it is all along the East Coast precisely because of the cavalier attitude so many had towards it when it first came here. It's out there, it's dangerous, for too many deadly. Why in the world would you want to tempt fate? Here in Va, we are observing our stay in place orders. It has helped slow the growth of the spread. Even so, it is spreading. This isn't the flu. It's not bronchitis. It's much, much worse than that - there are no proven treatments available and not even tests for it in many places - like, I'm sure, Oklahoma. STAY ALIVE - STAY HOME!
Go and enjoy!!

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Kinda water over the dam at this point.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

ed1
Explorer
Explorer
To each his own, but be aware of the risks especially if you are older and have other health problems. My wife and I are in that category, and were advised by our doctor at the beginning of March to follow the CDC guidelines. We stocked up and prepared to isolate at home if necessary. At that time there were only a few cases in NYC, none in our county (Suffolk) and none in the adjacent county (Nassau). One week later on the 7th there were a few more in NYC and one in Nassau-none in our county. Just like some of the country today. Fortunately, we decided at that time to quarantine ourselves.
By the 15th, our county went from 0 to 47cases, by the 22st to 1000, and today less than one month after the first case, we passed through 10,000 cases, and the number is still growing exponentially.
The number of hospitalizations and deaths has risen proportionally. The really scary thing is that in about a week when the local hospitals run out of capacity, we old and sick are going to be the ones left to die if we get the virus.
So be very careful- the virus may be lurking unseen out there, especially if your area has not done extensive testing, and it's very contagious. And it gets ugly very quickly.
Be safe
Ed
2002 Holiday Rambler Admiral 32

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
We were hoping to get one last walk on the beach but all of them in the area have been closed. We are, however, fortunate enough to have a park with trails within walking distance of the house, which we plan to use. The town has shut down things like playgrounds, basketball and tennis courts plus the skateboard park but is allowing walking trails to stay open. Some experts are now saying it is NOT a good idea to keep everyone stuck at home-getting out into the sun and fresh air are very helpful to ward off depression. They are still recommending no large groups and social distancing but the threat of increasing suicide rates, domestic violence and crime are very real. Small steps may help mitigate these issues.

Douglas Adams

tommyznr
Explorer
Explorer
cougar28 wrote:
Ok this is how it went. Friday loaded the rv with food stuff from the house (haven't been to the store in 3 weeks)and cloths. No need to stop for fuel-truck had a full tank that was fill over a month ago and the trip was only 50 miles one way. Pulled up by the office put window down-lady in office open her window. Told her who I was and reservation site and we went and set up at our site. Others showed up said hi but no hand shakes or hugs. Each couple ate there meals in there rv. We did sit around a camp fire each evening and took about a 5 mile hike Saturday early afternoon. Friday night got below freezing had a good frost on Saturday morning and started raining last night about 10pm on and off till 10am this morning. Packed up went and dumped (yes wore rubber gloves and washed hands good with soap afterwards. Headed home at 11am today without a stop. I would say we stayed pretty safe.

That is a perfectly reasonable trip, sounds like a great time and I bet your mental health is improved.

This is a classic case of putting everything in perspective and doing what is reasonable to protect yourself and others.
Tom

2017 GMC Sierra SLT, Max Tow package
2018 Grand Design Reflection 295RL

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
restlessways wrote:
What about the fulltimers who don't have a house? What are they supposed to do? Where do they go as all these campgrounds and state parks are closed?

Wouldn't be smart for campgrounds to close. They are in most instances a better alternative than apartment, condo, retirement home communities are. Most spaces are more than 6 feet wide.
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System Generator man 360 (PM me)