cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What can I do to revive an old VHS recorder/player

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Since I, like many, have quarantined myself with my wife at home I decided to finally start converting my VHS to DVD's. Since I had been planning for this for some time I had acquired a DVD recorder but never followed through. The recorder is equipped with a digital O-T-A receiver. For some reason, transfer by RF coax was the only way I could make it transfer. I couldn't get the A/V cables to work.

Most all of my keepsake tapes are of vacations, camping and grandkids, on VHS-C tapes. After reviving my old adapter and figuring out how to mesh analog with digital videos I have begun the process.

My one saved VHS format player is now working, but most images are shaky. I took the cover off and used contact cleaner to clean the insides up as much as possible. That didn't help much. Does anyone know what I could do to improve the output images from the old VCR?

What I'm getting now may be the best I can do.
19 REPLIES 19

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:

And i would replace the drive belt/belts first

Tip of the day. I didn't go out shopping for a new drive belt but I did remove the tiny belt from the motor, soaked it in brake fluid. treated it with some automotive belt conditioner, wiped it clean and that did the trick. I've gone through 10 of my 87 VHS-C tapes without a flutter.

Thanks.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I'll keep Legacy box in mind. I presume you've had bad experience with the Vidbox.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
As said, Legacy box is your best bet.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
The shaking can be caused by drive belts, and also by the pinch rollers. If you can find new ones, replace. Cleaning might help, but they are probably just worn.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
rwynkoop wrote:
I used a USB capture device to save video to the pc from the VCR composite(or SVIDEO) output. I saved the 30 min CVHS tape in one shot.

TryHauppauge USB Live 2

I then used a movie editor to make short clips of the memories.

I purchased a Vidbox a year or so ago and never got around to hooking it up to transfer to my computer hard drive. Finally decided to try it today but have misplaced the software disk that came with it. Went to the website and downloaded the software but there is a serial number that came with it, which I have also lost. I hope to find it or call the company and see what I can do. There are so many companies not working right now it may be a while before I get anybody.

My DVR is getting a little better and I'm slowly transferring from DVR's to DVD's. I know there are people who do these transfers. I have used them for work but they can only copy what you have. They can't make the copies better than the originals.

My DVR player seems to be loosening up a little and the fluttering is getting better.

rwynkoop
Explorer
Explorer
I used a USB capture device to save video to the pc from the VCR composite(or SVIDEO) output. I saved the 30 min CVHS tape in one shot.

TryHauppauge USB Live 2

I then used a movie editor to make short clips of the memories.
2003 Chevy 1500 HD Crew 4x4, 6.0L gas.
2007 Jayco 29BHS TT.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
go straight to Digital, and make multiple backup copies.

I have a 4 disk server running with Raid 5, each disk is 6T. I have a nearly identical server stored off site that's a mirror of the first server.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
mikestock wrote:
I don't understand the RF deal either. When I go from the DVR out to the DVD in A/V ports, nothing comes through. The DVD has 3 input settings plus scanned channels available for input. I would have thought the input for A/V from a video camera would have worked the same as from a DVR, but no go. I finally scanned the DVD off-air channels and found the channel 3 analog channel or otherwise, there seemed to be no way to get connected.

I am only copying homemade videos.

Well I found it to be a pain in the anatomy as well and thus I had hardware and software that kicked the"Copy guard" as it is called generically in the dumpster...

I made several digital recordings of my Darling Daughter in concert. But when I went to transfer 'em to CD.. Ye old copy guard kicked in (Serial Copy Management System) so I had to put a copy bit stripper in the line. then I could make copies. and I had computer software that let me make more. Also the church choir and so on.

With Video Tape somehow the recorder knows it's watching a Video tape and not a camera. Since I only did ONE video tape to DVD (A wedding) Well. I used older hardware and a computer that ignored the copy guard.

I also sang in the choir (Along with Darling Daughter) for that Wedding.

I might as an Author and performer I understand the need for copy guard systems... But alas... They are a major pain in the arse when you have the right to copy.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
I picked up a combo VCR/DVD player at another Thrift store and it works great.

I looked for one of those but the ones I found at a reasonable price only go from DVD to VCR and not the other way around, which is what I need.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
Other than general cleaning and replacement of belts and possibly capacitors in the power supply. I can only make two comments.

ONE: There is a service that will convert VHS to DVD/Cloud/MP4 for you for what they claim is a reasonable fee (never used 'em)

Second: is why "It only works via RF".. There is an anti-copy code on the tape if you try to copy it without a code breaker the DVD recorder will refuse.

I don't do a lot of video work
But I used to do audio by the ton.. Same issue with digital transfers of audio. Analog did not have that issue.

I discovered years ago that if you have both VHS and Beta (or Sony Mini-8) the copy protection is removed when you copy from VHS to Beta or Mini-8. At that point the copy can be copied back to VHS of DVD. No code breaker needed.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Other than general cleaning and replacement of belts and possibly capacitors in the power supply. I can only make two comments.

ONE: There is a service that will convert VHS to DVD/Cloud/MP4 for you for what they claim is a reasonable fee (never used 'em)

Second: is why "It only works via RF".. There is an anti-copy code on the tape if you try to copy it without a code breaker the DVD recorder will refuse.

But I used to do audio by the ton. Same issue with digital transfers of audio. Analog did not have that issue.

I don't understand the RF deal either. When I go from the DVR out to the DVD in A/V ports, nothing comes through. The DVD has 3 input settings plus scanned channels available for input. I would have thought the input for A/V from a video camera would have worked the same as from a DVR, but no go. I finally scanned the DVD off-air channels and found the channel 3 analog channel or otherwise, there seemed to be no way to get connected.

I am only copying homemade videos.

The most time-consuming part is that I have to personally watch everything I'm copying to keep from copying long periods of blank video after the useful part ends. As you know, once you fill a DVD with blank space you can't overwrite it

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III

But I used to do audio by the ton.. Same issue with digital transfers of audio. Analog did not have that issue.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MrWizard
A little Gimrick
Called a video stabilizer, will help clean up the vhs output
And i would replace the drive belt/belts first

Stabilizer some can be had for $30 , easy to use
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
I had somewhat of a dilemma a few months ago....you know how you can always get great deals on VHS tapes at Thrift Stores...well I found myself always picking up a few. I then realized that my VCR no longer functioned. For 5 bucks, I picked up a combo VCR/DVD player at another Thrift store and it works great.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)