Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What can I do to revive an old VHS recorder/player
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> What can I do to revive an old VHS recorder/player

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/20 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since I, like many, have quarantined myself with my wife at home I decided to finally start converting my VHS to DVD's. Since I had been planning for this for some time I had acquired a DVD recorder but never followed through. The recorder is equipped with a digital O-T-A receiver. For some reason, transfer by RF coax was the only way I could make it transfer. I couldn't get the A/V cables to work.

Most all of my keepsake tapes are of vacations, camping and grandkids, on VHS-C tapes. After reviving my old adapter and figuring out how to mesh analog with digital videos I have begun the process.

My one saved VHS format player is now working, but most images are shaky. I took the cover off and used contact cleaner to clean the insides up as much as possible. That didn't help much. Does anyone know what I could do to improve the output images from the old VCR?

What I'm getting now may be the best I can do.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/20 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know you are trying to do this yourself, and it's a great project. But, if it doesn't seem to be working there is a company that specializes in this. Legacy Box
Never used it myself, we still have boxes of old tapes, but we have looked at this outfit.

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/20 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree.
Your memories are to precious to chance.
Let the pros do it.

Gonzo42

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/20 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many times mine have been resustitated by replacing the drive belts which not only wear out, but just go bad from age.

Alternatively, my local Costco has converted film to DVD for me. You might consider that.

MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/20 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you imagine your grandkids digging up those old VCR tapes in 30 years? LOL

Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/20 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From digging up to trash can in five seconds.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/20 10:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had somewhat of a dilemma a few months ago....you know how you can always get great deals on VHS tapes at Thrift Stores...well I found myself always picking up a few. I then realized that my VCR no longer functioned. For 5 bucks, I picked up a combo VCR/DVD player at another Thrift store and it works great.

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/20 01:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A little Gimrick
Called a video stabilizer, will help clean up the vhs output
And i would replace the drive belt/belts first

Stabilizer some can be had for $30 , easy to use

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/20 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Other than general cleaning and replacement of belts and possibly capacitors in the power supply. I can only make two comments.

ONE: There is a service that will convert VHS to DVD/Cloud/MP4 for you for what they claim is a reasonable fee (never used 'em)

Second: is why "It only works via RF".. There is an anti-copy code on the tape if you try to copy it without a code breaker the DVD recorder will refuse.

I don't do a lot of video work
But I used to do audio by the ton.. Same issue with digital transfers of audio. Analog did not have that issue.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/20 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Other than general cleaning and replacement of belts and possibly capacitors in the power supply. I can only make two comments.

ONE: There is a service that will convert VHS to DVD/Cloud/MP4 for you for what they claim is a reasonable fee (never used 'em)

Second: is why "It only works via RF".. There is an anti-copy code on the tape if you try to copy it without a code breaker the DVD recorder will refuse.

I don't do a lot of video work
But I used to do audio by the ton. Same issue with digital transfers of audio. Analog did not have that issue.

I don't understand the RF deal either. When I go from the DVR out to the DVD in A/V ports, nothing comes through. The DVD has 3 input settings plus scanned channels available for input. I would have thought the input for A/V from a video camera would have worked the same as from a DVR, but no go. I finally scanned the DVD off-air channels and found the channel 3 analog channel or otherwise, there seemed to be no way to get connected.

I am only copying homemade videos.

The most time-consuming part is that I have to personally watch everything I'm copying to keep from copying long periods of blank video after the useful part ends. As you know, once you fill a DVD with blank space you can't overwrite it

* This post was edited 03/21/20 09:23am by mikestock *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> What can I do to revive an old VHS recorder/player
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.