cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rving in Mexico and South America

Galvanizd
Explorer
Explorer
Just left Puerto Penasco 2 weeks ago. Stayed for 5 weeks. Had a good time. Got some sun, not that I needed to get any darker.

Peso was at about 18 to the US Dollar. Fuel was fairly high.

Friends are reporting the town and beaches are now closing down. The towns gonna hurt during this time. Peso today on the world exchange was at 24.4 pesos to the dollar.

Rving in mexico and south America is the topic of this section. Not going to be much rv travel from the US to mexico.

Probably should change it to "Living in Mexico and South America" so those of you living there will have something to talk about.
6 REPLIES 6

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently in Peรฑasco and plan to set a little while longer. We are finding some restaurants open as usual. Sam's Club and Bodega are open and finding TP is no problem. The locals are mad at the AZ people that bought it all and hauled it back to the states. Gas was down 3 pesos/liter yesterday. Beaches are closed so very quiet and have heard that Easter holiday has been cancelled.

mexicoruss
Explorer
Explorer
Naomi and I have been in isolation (self quarantine) for 7 days now, we have lots of projects so no problem there. We had to cancel an event for the 21st and we just cancelled a 8 day tour of San Miguel, Guadalajara and Guanajuato trip that was scheduled for April-May with 20 guest. Our town of Peรฑasco has basically shut down..take out food only...no cinemas...no gyms..no public beaches are open...it is like a ghost town but I believe it is the right response as nobody really knows whats going on right now. We have plans to stay self sheltered for another week or two. We hope this is not the new normal...Stay safe, stay well.
Russ Black
011-521-638-113-4591 Cell Phone
Puerto Penasco, Sonora

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
We are in Nogales,Az. No problems crossing but the woman did not know that Canadians can cross. There was only one other car at the border. NUTS

Talleyho69
We aren't hearing any RV complaints either. Border crossing are normal, easy.

Here in Zihuatanejo, we haven't had a casa de cambio in a little over a year. Either use the ATM's or go to Electra or similar and get gouged.

We normally have on a Saturday about 50 buses of tourists from inland. Today, five. So travel is cutting back.

Everything else?? We did our shopping Wednesday, and all was normal. Nothing is closed in town, without tourism, this town suffers hugely. We went to CineMex on Thursday for a movie and they are only selling tickets for alternating rows. Sickness? Time will tell.

We do our dog walk/swim/ball time on the beach, then paddle then swim a mile, all in the ocean. We are fortunate to not have to worry about any type of exposure during those times. I will admit that we start at 6am and finish by 9.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Casas de cambio in Monterrey today are at 21.60. I did see one at 23 pesos. Shop around.

I did make a trip to Home Depot. Traffic in Monterrey was the worst. It seems we still aren't taking it seriously.

My gym shut down on Monday, the lake is closed as well as the waterfalls and restaurants in the town squares (Santiago and El Cercado).

Hospitals (IMSS not private) will be on board as of Monday which is too little too late but that's how we roll.

We're not hearing any complaints from rvers heading back to the U.S. or Canada.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Talleyho69
Glad you had a good time.

The US dollar is currently very strong, yesterday I got 23.48 at the ATM.

There are still a couple of RV's left here in Zihuatanejo, people who have decided to stay in warm weather and wait it out.

Gasoline has been expensive in Mexico for several years, but yesterday it was down almost 2 pesos per liter here.

Hopefully this will blow over, people will survive the slowdowns and return to this country.