cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flatulence causing CO/Propane detector alarm?

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
I apologize for this graphic question, but this happened to me this last trip and I wanted to ask...

Twice during the night, my CO/Propane detector went off - just after I passed gas. The detector is 5 feet away from the foot of my bed. I recall passing gas twice, and each time the alarm sounded within 2 minutes.

Is this just too gross to discuss here? Is this something you've experienced?
There is something special about camping in an RV.
39 REPLIES 39

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
I enjoyed this post because it brought back memories of a big black lab named Sammie that would pass what i nicknamed "the blue haze".

Aside from setting off the gas detector, she would even get up and move when the bomb went off. :B
My Collies don't pass gas very often but when they do it will clear a room. What's worse is it's a silent killer no warning what so ever.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Farting in bed with your spouse beside you is outrageously unacceptable human behavior..

LOL! Don't know how old you are but it's become the mating call between my husband and I!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Farting in bed with your spouse beside you is outrageously unacceptable human behavior......I do it all the time but my alarms are immune to it.

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
My previous TT's smoke detector would go off any time I stepped out of the shower. Darn things are just too sensitive, if you ask me.

So there I am at 2:00am, naked, with a flashlight looking at the detector panel. It reads, "when alarm sounds, exit to fresh air and call 911". I did not do that. Given the sensitivity of the alarm, you really have to discard the instructions and make a judgement.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I enjoyed this post because it brought back memories of a big black lab named Sammie that would pass what i nicknamed "the blue haze".

Aside from setting off the gas detector, she would even get up and move when the bomb went off. :B

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
I think we've found the true cause of climate change...

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Glad Iโ€™m not sleeping in the same RV as you!!!!!!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
Oh brother. Bring back college memories.

And when we spent a vacation at Patti's sisters property in Montana. They were in the process of building a home. She and her hubby were staying in a 20 or so foot TT TH that had the TH portion turned into bunks. Dan, myself, his Daughter and Son in Law made for some hilarious memories.

Thanks for the post. Hadn't really ever thought that the gases were that similar. They both DO create impressive flames:B
Rick and Patti ๐Ÿ™‚
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Dog farts are a famous cause of false alarms, I suppose because the dog is closer to the floor.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Naio wrote:
1. Put your new detector farther from the bed.

2. Get some probiotics.

3. Stop eating so much alfalfa.

Rofl. That's funny!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Had a bottle of Tequila tip over and leak inside cabinet near detector. The alarm went crazy would not turn off. Finally figured out the problem, it was a case of alcohol abuse!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
1. Put your new detector farther from the bed.

2. Get some probiotics.

3. Stop eating so much alfalfa.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Ok!, 1968
5AM, Navy Training facility, Millington TN. 5 sailors in the coffee mess shooting the bull. One sailor sitting on the Deep sink passes gas. Another sailer lighting a cigarette with a match then tosses it into the sink. The blue flame erupted and the smell of burnt hair filled the barracks.

EV2
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Simple cure, a cork, and some super glue.

โ€œ Man in Africa killed by flying cork.โ€