Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: coronavirus...put it into perspective
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> coronavirus...put it into perspective

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next
Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/20 10:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just to lighten the mood a tad.....with everyone sheltering in place and not so many cars on the road( I was amazed at the 405 freeway being almost completely empty and the Las Vegas Strip looking like a ghost town),,,shouldn't our car Insurance rates go down a tad. I haven't driven my car for at least two weeks now and it will probably be another two before I might! Just to throw it out there???

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 10:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

Not sure what they are doing in your area, but in Colorado the (admittedly Liberal) government has said "essential services" should work. Grocery stores. Banks. Medical services and the like. They have shut down dine in restaurants, gyms, tattoo parlors, and the like.

This isn't the media making the decisions.
Sounds like Massachusetts... wait, we both have legalized pot.. coincidence... hmmm, maybe not [emoticon]

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 12:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

"Clickbait" is the new headlines. Facts have little to do with it.
They are reporting what experts are saying. How is that not facts? You 'fake news' guys just create more fear and confusion..as if we're supposed to listen to you and not the media.
If you have read very much you'd know that the "facts" being reported by "experts" are all over the map. No one agrees what will happen, when it will happen, and who it will happen to. You want an opinion, just search around and you'll find an "expert" who will supply the "facts" you wish to believe.

It's not "fake news" per se, it's incomplete or partial news, to support a particular view being espoused.

Just like anytime the politicians say anything: "Believe very little".

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 12:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters wrote:

2oldman wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

"Clickbait" is the new headlines. Facts have little to do with it.
They are reporting what experts are saying. How is that not facts? You 'fake news' guys just create more fear and confusion..as if we're supposed to listen to you and not the media.
I'm sure what you meant to say was - they find an expert to support their narrative then put him on TV.
Yes, very nicely phrased.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 12:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

troubledwaters wrote:

Bionic Man wrote:

The media is surely sensationalizing this pandemic. But it is the government (both parties) that are advising shelter at home policies.

I'm not a fan of the media, and feel they definitely have an agenda. But there is more to todays issues than that.
What is it you mean by shelter at home? If you mean people showing symptoms should stay home; If you mean everyone should maintain a safe distance/contact, I think everyone would agree with those things.

If you mean all businesses should shut down and remain closed for weeks / months and everyone remain inside - that's an example of the media sowing sensationalism, chaos and hysteria. Which is precisely why everyone is buying months worth of toilet paper.

And just like someone said a day or two ago; when its all over and done instead of admitting to their hysteria peddling, the Media is going to say - wow, we dodged a bullet.

Not sure what they are doing in your area, but in Colorado the (admittedly Liberal) government has said "essential services" should work. Grocery stores. Banks. Medical services and the like. They have shut down dine in restaurants, gyms, tattoo parlors, and the like.

This isn't the media making the decisions.
The media isn't directly making the decisions, but they sure are putting a lot of pressure on the people-in-charge to act. So the people-in-charge act, sometimes totally without any data or reason to do what they did. But the media can't accuse them of not acting. That is what is driving a lot of politicians: fear of the media reporting them as indecisive.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 12:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Just like anytime the politicians say anything: "Believe very little".
You've told us your conspiracies and everything you don't believe, so what DO you believe?

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 01:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe that dying from lack of oxygen on a cold lonely stretcher because there are not enough ventilators or hospital rooms is an awful way to die.
I believe that we have been under threat of biological warfare for at least fifty years and we are totally unprepared.
I believe that some are more worried about the stock market than their neighbor's health.
I believe our world had changed forever.
Most of all, I believe that we will look back at this in two years and appreciate that it is over.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 02:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A proper calculation of mortality rate is: total dead divided by total population.

The outbreak hit Germany and France a bit earlier than Italy.
Germany's mortality rate is 93 divided by 83,000,000, or 0.0001% so far.
France's mortality rate so far is 562 divided by 65,000,000 = 0.00086%.
China's rate (if it can be believed) is similarly low.
(For reference, influenza mortality is typically in the 0.1% range.)

Of all the countries, Italy is the statistical outlier. Despite being later to the illness than China, S. Korea, Germany, and France, Italy's most recent mortality number is 5,476 out of 60,000,000 people, which still is only a rate of 0.009%.

Even though less than 1 in 10,000 has reportedly died from Covid-19 in Italy, the nation hardest hit by this virus so far, the MSM has continued to trot out a "two to three percent death rate" claim. Worse still, they love to use a sensationalized death rate, incorrectly calculated: total deaths divided by number diagnosed with the illness, instead of dividing by total population. Thus they claim false numbers like 10% or 12% death rates.

A herd of cattle will stampede over a minor thing; one loud noise or even a single spooked steer can start the herd on a mad, blind dash. Are we any better than a herd of cattle?

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjamin Franklin
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 02:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe that nearly everyone will be fine. That's agreed to by almost all the people involved. The numbers usually thrown around that I've seen is over 90%, and around 80% of the people who show symptoms will be mild cases.

IOW, if people had ignored the hype from the media, stayed at home if they were feeling sick, stayed at home unless they really needed to go out, and stayed away from crowds, we wouldn't be having the hysteria fanned by the media. Most people will be able to do their jobs, most people will be able to get things to the grocery stores, shops and such.

Closing sporting events, slowing mass crowd convergences is a good thing. No one, and I me NO ONE knows positively what will happen over the coming months, but acting like the depression is around the corner and acting like it's the end of civilization is simply asinine.

Stay home, chill out, and self-medicate, with the drug of choice. Mine is beer, just not any of that lite stuff that calls itself beer. Dark ales, all the way.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 02:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexlion wrote:

A proper calculation of mortality rate is: total dead divided by total population.
That's one way. Another is to compare the dead to those infected, and that's where the numbers go way up.

That's why we're so concerned about its spread.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> coronavirus...put it into perspective
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.