Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: coronavirus...put it into perspective
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> coronavirus...put it into perspective

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next
Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actual data to keep things in perspective, courtesy Rep. Biggs & Rep. Buck.
Diamond Princess cruise ship, considered an enclosed environment. 17% onboard tested positive, total number tested positive 697, total died 7. Average age passenger 58, 33% passengers over 70.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited
2019 F150 SCrew STX SB 5.0 factory tow package

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 08:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

"Clickbait" is the new headlines. Facts have little to do with it.
They are reporting what experts are saying. How is that not facts? You 'fake news' guys just create more fear and confusion..as if we're supposed to listen to you and not the media.

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

"Clickbait" is the new headlines. Facts have little to do with it.
They are reporting what experts are saying. How is that not facts? You 'fake news' guys just create more fear and confusion..as if we're supposed to listen to you and not the media.
I'm sure what you meant to say was - they find an expert to support their narrative then put him on TV.

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/20 09:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

So some random yahoo

Nice. What make you any different?

None whatso ever. I am also some "Random Yahoo" on the internet. Anyone taking advice from me would be a freakin idiot.

Without researchable bona fides, every person on the internet is "some random yahoo" and their opinions and statements are worth exactly what you paid for them.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/20 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

None whatso ever. I am also some "Random Yahoo" on the internet. Anyone taking advice from me would be a freakin idiot.

Without researchable bona fides, every person on the internet is "some random yahoo" and their opinions and statements are worth exactly what you paid for them.

At least you own up to it! [emoticon] Right now we are ALL "random yahoos" I think. Maybe it's time to ban coronavirus threads altogether.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 09:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is another perspective:

The US has a population of about 327 million people. As of today there is approximately 26,000 people with diagnosed COVID 19. That means there is one confirmed case out of every 12,000+ people. Even if the the number of undiagnosed carriers is 10 times greater than than the number of confirmed cases it still means that less than one out of every thousand people are infected.
It is very likely that the death rate will fall as testing becomes more widespread. Currently, testing is only being done on those with symptoms and is focused on the severely ill (which is the correct action, since the severely ill need intensive care and the symptomatic need to isolate themselves completely). But as we increase the denominator of virus positive individuals through expanded testing, the fatality rate will decline.
One of the best things that can happen is there to be a large population of infected people who had no symptoms and subsequently recovered. They are what will create a herd immunity and eventually stop the spread of the disease. It is the same as setting back fires to control wildfires. Just like back fires create areas that cannot burn, asymptomatic people who have recovered create large areas where there is no one left to get sick and spread the disease. There is anecdotal evidence this is already occurring, but there is really no way to know since it is impractical, and probably unwise, to test large numbers of people who show no outward signs of the virus.
Hopefully our government leaders will be able to manage the tightrope walk between illness prevention and the economy. The last thing we want is the economic damage to continue far past the health impacts of the virus. In the long run that could cause far more harm, both physically and mentally than the virus.

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 09:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The media is surely sensationalizing this pandemic. But it is the government (both parties) that are advising shelter at home policies.

I'm not a fan of the media, and feel they definitely have an agenda. But there is more to todays issues than that.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 10:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

The media is surely sensationalizing this pandemic. But it is the government (both parties) that are advising shelter at home policies.

I'm not a fan of the media, and feel they definitely have an agenda. But there is more to todays issues than that.
What is it you mean by shelter at home? If you mean people showing symptoms should stay home; If you mean everyone should maintain a safe distance/contact, I think everyone would agree with those things.

If you mean all businesses should shut down and remain closed for weeks / months and everyone remain inside - that's an example of the media sowing sensationalism, chaos and hysteria. Which is precisely why everyone is buying months worth of toilet paper.

And just like someone said a day or two ago; when its all over and done instead of admitting to their hysteria peddling, the Media is going to say - wow, we dodged a bullet.

* This post was edited 03/22/20 10:26am by troubledwaters *

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

freetime58 wrote:

RV daytrader wrote:

Not to make light of the corona virus as I am sure more will die from it but.....this is for the United States in 2017

Number of deaths for leading causes of death:
Heart disease: 647,457
Cancer: 599,108
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
Alzheimer’s disease: 121,404
Diabetes: 83,564
Influenza and Pneumonia: 55,672
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis: 50,633
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173

coronavirus: 298 so far

So...try to stay away from crowds....but don,t panic...imo

None of those have the ability to tank the economy like Covid-19 already has....none of those stand to tax the health care system to the max and overwhelm things to the point where health care professional will have to make a decision on who lives and who dies . People may not only loose their lives but the economic impact will also lose people their jobs, homes, savings, retirement savings, cars, trucks, rv's....you name it. Seems many folks are just too narrow minded and selfish to take it serious enough...........let's see you post again in 3 to 6 months and see if you've changed your attitude and perspective on things.

The economic impact has already destroyed enough value that it is inevitable that people are going to lose their homes, commit suicide, and maybe not even have enough to eat here real soon. Just wait until you see the headlines tomorrow. Even if the virus is as bad as people say, the economic consequences are going to be dire.

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 10:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters wrote:

Bionic Man wrote:

What is it you mean by shelter at home? If you mean people showing symptoms should stay home; If you mean everyone should maintain a safe distance/contact, I think everyone would agree with those things.

If you mean all businesses should shut down and remain closed for weeks / months and everyone remain inside - that's an example of the media sowing sensationalism, chaos and hysteria. Which is precisely why everyone is buying months worth of toilet paper.

And just like someone said a day or two ago; when its all over and done instead of admitting to their hysteria peddling, the Media is going to say - wow, we dodged a bullet.

Not sure what they are doing in your area, but in Colorado the (admittedly Liberal) government has said "essential services" should work. Grocery stores. Banks. Medical services and the like. They have shut down dine in restaurants, gyms, tattoo parlors, and the like.

This isn't the media making the decisions.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> coronavirus...put it into perspective
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.