Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Multi month trip planning
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Multi month trip planning

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/20 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I fought the good fight to the bitter end but it looks like my use of Streets & Trips 2013 has finally been taken from me. I have not found a stand alone, no internet required, app to replace it. My 2009 Samsung laptop which has endured 3 bumpy trips on a table infront of the passenger seat to Alaska plus tens of thousands of miles all over the lower 48 & Canada, has finally died on me taking with it MS S&Ts to its grave.

So now I need to find something else that I can plan 100 day plus trips with.

I have tried the MAPS provided on Windows 10. Is it me or is it that cranky & frustrating to use?

I have a 3 year old Garmin 770RV which is fine for A to B trips but that is not how we travel. We avoid interstates like they have COVID 19. We do meandering day routes, often with changes on the fly when we don't like what the Garmin has come up with. The DW is a darned good navigator & given something with the details available of S&Ts she can navigate out of any wrong turn.

So, what else is there that I can use to plot away creating the next multi thousand mile trip, along with ideas on where to stay?

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/20 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How did we go anywhere when we only had paper maps [emoticon]

swphotobug

varous

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/20 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may want to try rvtripwizard.com. Though it is a subscription it is the most complete product I have seen. There is also an app, RV Life for your phone that copies the trips from RVTW to your phone.

Lwiddis

West & above Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/20 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The need to plan 100 day RV trips completely in advance escapes me.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/20 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Road maps.

Get something like a Rand McNally road atlas for an overview. Then get a road map for each state.

Use a regular GPS (I do think Garmin is the best) to help you navigate. It's good to have the heads up for which lane to be in, etc.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/20 10:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis, I think there are folks who don't like to "wing it." Some do -- I'm one of them. But thank goodness there is room in the world for all kinds of folks!

It's sort of like the old proverb -- "There are two kinds of people in the world: those who categorize everything, and then the other kind." [emoticon]

All kidding aside, when we first starting RVing, we planned every step, just as we used to do in the days of motel trips. Those had to be planned because it was so hard to get reservations.

But then, almost by accident, we learned that RV travel could be spontaneous, and we came to prefer that style. It was hard to unlearn the organizational habits of a lifetime.

And in defense of the meticulous planners, choosing a route carefully can add to the fun because it means that you can anticipate destinations and do the necessary investigations to see what hidden gems await you in each locale.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 04:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For a lot of people, me included the planning is half the fun. We get to do the trip twice, once on paper then the real thing. The problem comes when people are not flexible and insist on sticking to the plan, no side trips etc. Some of our best adventures have been unplanned.

pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This thread certainly fits the bill of side trips. [emoticon]

We used to use Streets and Trips... Now we use Google Maps, Excel, and Garmin.

Plan things out on Google Maps.

Lay out our trip in Excel - with where we will stop, if we have reservations, how many miles and how many hours driving per day, stuff like that. On other worksheets info on things we want to do and see.

Input the stops into our GPS.

Bring the spreadsheet along both as printed papers and as a file in the phone.

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben
2004 Roadtrek 170 for quick getaways
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub for longer trips
Trip Pics

rr2254545

Central Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/20 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

swphotobug wrote:

You may want to try rvtripwizard.com. Though it is a subscription it is the most complete product I have seen. There is also an app, RV Life for your phone that copies the trips from RVTW to your phone.

I too use this product and have planned many long trips of more than 25 stops - I even used it to plan a two week car trip in Germany

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee, Air Force One, Blue Ox Avail tow bar
374 Campgrounds,85K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 1858 nights camping since we retired in July 2009

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

How did we go anywhere when we only had paper maps [emoticon]

That is the beauty of a stand alone program like S&Ts. You have all the flexibility of seeing the much bigger picture of a state map right in front along with the ability to zoom in on the detail that a county map provides. It also has selectable POIs & you can add whatever you want wherever you want without the clutter of marking paper.

A program like S&Ts is like having every map, state & county, at your fingertips & it is also a GPS. That is why those of us who used it on our long distance trips moan about its loss.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Multi month trip planning
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.