Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Buyer beware
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Buyer beware

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/20 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The question I have is, would the existing TC market be willing to pay 1.5 to 2 times as much for a better built unit? My assessment of the situation is, no, by and large they would not.

Better built campers have come and gone. Gonna come in and set the industry on its ear. What happened? "Too expensive."

Until the buying market is willing to put its money where its mouth is, and more of it, you will continue to get more of the same.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/20 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

. . . As previously noted, my TC was built in 2005. 15 years old with nothing wrong with it. Also as previously noted, there are Northern Lites and Bigfoots that had significant issues that were way younger than that . . .
Any camper can have significant issues. However, the most serious issues will typically be structural. The OP's video link described how the underlying wood supports for each corner jack had seriously degraded---to the point there the camper was seriously unstable while supported by the jacks. Can't speak for older NL campers (or BF), but the later model NL's attach the jack to aluminum brackets which are directly attached to the side and bottom of the fiberglass shell. No organic materials are used in these important assemblies so there's little to no chance of experiencing the most serious structural issues noted in the video. I would venture to say this is probably a major reason why NL offers a 6-year structural warranty on their campers (for the original owner).

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/20 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

If I would have been worried about resale, I wouldn’t have bought an RV.

Isn't that the truth.

I've only had two campers.

The first one was junk because the previous owner didn't take care of it.

My present camper, my second one is 25 years old and in extremely good condition because the previous owner did take care of it.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/20 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ Eggzactly!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/20 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

The question I have is, would the existing TC market be willing to pay 1.5 to 2 times as much for a better built unit? My assessment of the situation is, no, by and large they would not.

Better built campers have come and gone. Gonna come in and set the industry on its ear. What happened? "Too expensive."

Until the buying market is willing to put its money where its mouth is, and more of it, you will continue to get more of the same.

US buyers pay north of $2 millions for quality Prevost conversions.
What was the question?

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/20 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

mkirsch wrote:

US buyers pay north of $2 millions for quality Prevost conversions.
What was the question?

The question was would they be willing to pay 1.5 to 2 times as much n a truck camper.

People who spend north of $2 million on a Prevost coach have zero interest in a slide in truck camper.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/20 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

People who spend north of $2 million on a Prevost coach have zero interest in a slide in truck camper.

And yet, you are talking to previous Prevost owner, even Id did pay way less than $2M for mine.
Look like Airstream trailers sell regardless high prices.
Why owners of aluminium TC go long way to remodel/extend/update their campers?
When most of the market shop for "cheap, cheap, cheap", some buyers appreciate quality.
Would Airstream quality campers come on the market, I guess you will find buyers willing to pay $100k for them.
They pay $70k for fiberglass units right now.

gitpicker2009

texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/20 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I loved the mod at 59 minutes where he added the "ledge" under the lifting plate so that it was not only lifting at the bolt points but by cupping underneath the corner! What a simple but great idea! Why don't the manufactures use this??? It would cost less than a dollar to add and would make a huge improvement. It's like when you build a deck- you don't just bolt the cross member to the post. It's better to notch the post and set the cross member on it, then bolt it.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/20 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Airstream will always be a niche product just like Northern Lite and Bigfoot (is/was). Bigfoot tried to create trailers, but weren’t very successful. I don’t think the utility of those products equal quality. Sure, if you have less features, you have less to go wrong, but you also have less features.

MSRP may approach 70K for a TC, but I think mid 50s is the cost for even the top of the line Hosts unless someone is doing a dealer a great favor. Kayteq1, you don’t seem to be up on new TC prices at all. That’s ok since you don’t buy new, but just throwing out wrong numbers isn’t helpful.

As specta noted, TCs aren’t a Prevost, and I’ll add will never be. Those are for people who aren’t worried about how much something costs and have no interest in the utility of having a truck separate of their living quarters.

Back to this thread though, it doesn’t seem like the video has a lot to do with TCs built in the past few years and not really relevant to new TCs.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/20 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

...I think most people with issues are hard on stuff or don’t maintain their TCs, or both.....

Kayteg1 wrote:

...The 99% issues are triggered by leaks...

In my opinion, those comments hit the nail on the head. My '03 Lance had a lot of dry rot in it by the time it was four years old. I did a write up on it in 2007 here (looks like Photobucket ate the pictures). I bought the camper in 2006 and it had spent its first three years outside unmaintained and rarely used. I have always kept it in a heated shop, so I know the dry rot did not occur on my watch.

No doubt, most of the wear and tear on RVs happens when they are stored outside, not when they are in actual use.

-Eric

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Buyer beware
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.