cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-40 E to I-44E to I-70E? NM to VT

vtchris
Explorer
Explorer
I am asking the best way to get from Tucumcari, NM to Brattleboro, VT in these unusual days. Any hints from current travelers would be greatly appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
IH40 to W Memphis.

IH55 N and across River to Dyersburg, TN

IH69 to IH64 across KY

IH77 N to Cleveland

IH80/90 to NY Thruway

As a commercial driver this is the route Iโ€™d use due to least traffic. Traffic is the biggest problem E of the Mississippi River.

Current stupidity aside, use (plan) stops in advance.
Rand McNally Commercial Carriers Atlas better than the Auto version

GPS is only for real-time. Not for planning. Set waypoints.

Clean car. Shirt with collar, leather shoes & belt. Fresh shave. No track suit or shorts. Look like a man. About his business. ON BUSINESS. Not a tattooed fool. Donโ€™t have stuff strewn around interior. Neat. Orderly. Secured. Zip closed. Donโ€™t let your condition or the car โ€œtell a story โ€œ. Inside or out. Clean = Invisible

CB Radio Iโ€™d never be without.

UNIDEN 980
Sirio 5000 mag mount
Astatic SWR meter
UNIDEN BC-20 speaker.

Ch 19 is still Truckers.

When you get home, get a power supply and a base station antenna. SSB means greater distance. Any problems out ahead and the Truckers will be yakking.

BELLS CB, BOBS CB, CLAYS CB, WALCOTT CB all great shops to deal with in person or online. (Donโ€™t order any extras about tuning, etc. That radio doesnโ€™t need it).

www.k0bg.com for details on mobile radio installations
See Clays site for short version.
Cigar lighter power and failure to tune antenna means poor performance.
Do your best for now.

Carry the food you enjoy. You can live just fine on sandwiches, etc.
Truck stop chains are good about cleanliness.

I just returned home a few days ago after 8,000-miles in three weeks. Nothing to mention for what matters.

This whole kerfuffle would be laughable except for police state ****.

1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest I-40 to I-81 to I-88. Your route would take you on the Oklahoma and Pa Turnpikes so you would have tolls. Also gas seems to be cheaper in southern states so you would save on gas.

vtchris
Explorer
Explorer
If the past 2 days of driving is any indication, I have no worries about driving through major cities. Amarillo, TX (not terribly major, but indicative) on I-40 right through the center and it looked like a ghost town with very little traffic even on the interstate. I'll check out that I-40 to I-81 route through Knoxville.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
vtchris wrote:
I am asking the best way to get from Tucumcari, NM to Brattleboro, VT in these unusual days. Any hints from current travelers would be greatly appreciated.

"Best" is always subjective, depends on whether you want to avoid major urban areas or go a bit further out of the way to avoid them.

An alternative to the route you asked about, which includes some (3) major urban areas, would be to take I-40 all the way to Knoxville, TN and then pick up I-81 outside of Knoxville and take it north to I-84 in Scranton PA and then east to I-91 to Vermont. Yes, you have Memphis to go through, but there's a bypass (I-840) around Nashville, so Memphis would be the only real major urban area on this route.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
vtchris wrote:

I'd avoid any stops in Large cities - traffic other that truck traffic should be light - with just a little planning this might work - MAP

Fuel stops and fixing your own food - Wal*Mart - Allstays Wal*Mart locations - as many CG's are not open yet.

This has been a great little focus time for me an My Coach - Completely emptying it - to repack - Fixed the unfixable Samsung - Rebuilt Dishwasher - Hand rubbed all the Wood and Leather....Long List Of to Do's - So if this goes on for another couple weeks I'll still be busy.

If you think about it - actually look at the statistics/Map it is where we are concentrated - or where travel is central - Big Airports - not to say it is not managing to poke into rural America, it has, just not too much, as some did travel. I have not been in contact with anyone other than than the DW in 12 days and am still health so there is hope,

Sorry got off on a tangent - the Map should help - if you stay away from others you should be fine - Soap and Water works - Just be sure you have plenty of Both.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach