cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installing an automatic transfer switch

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm installing a transfer switch in my 5ver. The transfer switch has three sets of labelled terminals: Control; Power Cord; Generator.
It would be simple enough to just follow the labels but I want to hook the power cord to the transfer switch's Generator terminals as well as to "power in" on my inverter charger; hook my "inverter out" to the transfer switch's Power Cord terminals. Then Control will obviously go to the RV's breaker panel.

I guess it would work to follow the labels, but if I wire it as I am suggesting there would be no draw on my batteries to operate the transfer switch while running off inverter power. Is there any reason to wire it according to the labels?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5
7 REPLIES 7

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes that should work. I misread you had a generator in the mix. If the TS has a time delay you will pass power through the 458 until the TS activates. Some allow delay function to be disabled.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a XantRex Freedom 458. If I wire as I explained in my first post I'm quite sure it would work just fine. The Xantrex input would be powered up from shore power through the parallel connection at the transfer switch. The inverter ac output would come into the transfer switch Power Cord input. Shore power, being connected to "Generator in" at the transfer switch should open the "Power Cord" circuit. There may be something I'm overlooking but I'm confident enough to give it a try unless someone can explain why it won't work.
B&W Companion

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4ord wrote:
My inverter charger is only 30 amps so I don't want to run shore power through the inverter charger's internal transfer switch.
What inverter/charger do you have?

Not sure you can use the charging function and block power from passing through.

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
I plug my shore cord into the inverter and thus the xfer switch functions normally....cord/generator/coach.
Has worked for years.:)

Housted
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
No don't jump it over to both. Cord to Cord, Gen to Gen. Control(output) to the inverter charger input.
Inverter/charger output to the main panel or circuit you want powered.

Seems easy as long as all is 30 amps or all is 50 amps. A bit more complex if it is 30/50 mixed.

My inverter charger is only 30 amps so I don't want to run shore power through the inverter charger's internal transfer switch.
B&W Companion

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
No don't jump it over to both. Cord to Cord, Gen to Gen. Control(output) to the inverter charger input.
Inverter/charger output to the main panel or circuit you want powered.

Seems easy as long as all is 30 amps or all is 50 amps. A bit more complex if it is 30/50 mixed.

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
My inverter contains itโ€™s own transfer switch to operate the coach when the pedestal cannot supply power. That being so, My power cord and the generator are wired just like the transfer switch instructions that you have.

You may call me if you wish.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer