cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel hitch lift

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
I belong to three different trailering forums and don't remember where I saw a similar lift someone had built. I used the general idea of his and built this one. It fits into the hitch the same as the pin on the trailer. Lock it in place and use a cherry picker or overhead hoist to lift it and save your back. I just used what I had on hand
39 REPLIES 39

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
We all need "something" to do. Keeps the brain cells moving!

Me, I just backed the fifth wheel into the barn yesterday and left the hitch hanging on the king pin.

however i did spend some time fabbing up a muffler for the 1948 Maytag two cylinder opposed. ๐Ÿ˜‰

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
hornet28 wrote:
I belong to three different trailering forums and don't remember where I saw a similar lift someone had built. I used the general idea of his and built this one. It fits into the hitch the same as the pin on the trailer. Lock it in place and use a cherry picker or overhead hoist to lift it and save your back. I just used what I had on hand

I found an eye bolt in my dad's junk pile, welded a 4" flat plate on the end of it, and used it just like you're thinking of doing. Found a cheap engine hoist to lift my Companion out in one piece then dropped it on a $10 furniture dolly from Harbor Freight. Sold the engine stand that came with the hoist, so was only out about $50, total.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
I see that B&W has their own lifting device.

https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/product/fifth-wheel-lifting-device

you can buy them here

2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a B&W Turnover Ball in my Ram Cummins. Topped with the Anderson Ultimate.

Seemed like the easiest way to go...
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Way to heavy to lift and drag then lift and push. It was on a low cart with wheels, I rolled it next to the trailer, jacked it up and blocked it a few inches at a time. I used some 2x6 at the top to get it even with the trailer bed then I put some lengths of 1/2" pipe under it allowing me to roll it onto the trailer

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lift one side up, drag it over to the trailer and set it on the deck, then go lift the other side up and push.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
No the trailer at the fenders is wider than the sleeper.

94-D2
Explorer
Explorer
Cribbing back the trailer under it.
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie 6.7L, Aisin, air ride, Ram puck prep, SuperGlide 20K auto slide.
2018 Bighorn Traveler 4 slide w/Apt.

Itโ€™s not what youโ€™ve done that commands respect, itโ€™s what you do.

Happy Campinโ€™

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Ok for you guys who feel the need to forgo lifts or such. Here's an example of working smart. In this picture is a 63" semi sleeper on my car hauler. I put it on there by myself no one around and no lift, hoist or fork lift involved. So how do you think I did it?

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Another vote for just lift with the front of the trailer.

Alternatively not hard to tie it off with a rope and lift.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Construction career so I know how to handle heavy objects.

Same here 42 years as a steel worker , and it takes it toll.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I just Man up and lift each pc in and out of my truck. Iโ€™m 62, last time I removed and installed I was 60.

Well you will get even smarter as time goes on .

He already did, he bought another 2nd gen RAM to haul stuff in!

Dang nice looking setup! Thatโ€™s my Summer ride and entertainment
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
cummins2014 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I just Man up and lift each pc in and out of my truck. Iโ€™m 62, last time I removed and installed I was 60.

Well you will get even smarter as time goes on .

Construction career so I know how to handle heavy objects.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I few years ago, I " manned up" removing my super glide in 1 piece...

Went into surgery the following week to repair a hernia... Thats that last time I did that... Up till this past year, if I needed to remove, I broke it ( Superglide ) down to as many pieces as possible... Head...Swivel...2 way tubes...base...rails.... :S. Live And Learn