cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F-53 V-10 Oil Capacity

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Some say its 6 quarts and some say its 7 quarts, but every time I do the oil change with filter its 6.5 to 6.75 quarts..

The manual says 6 quarts.

How many quarts does your V-10 take.

Mine is a 2008 3 valve
23 REPLIES 23

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
DFord wrote:
The owner's manual and Ford Motor Company are the final word here. If you're not following their recommendations, you're wrong. It's just that simple.

Well it appears that some where around 2016 to 2018 the manual now says 7 quarts, did ford make the oil pan larger or is it the same and they recognize their error.

I can not find a dipstick issue with the 2007 F53 model V-10 online, only the older V10's.

I think the error is in my manual..
My 2007 V10 3 valve per cylinder owners book says 6 qts that's what I been doing.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think Ford screwed up. They just don't tell you that when you drain the crankcase of oil, the engine oil cooler also drains about 1/2 quart of oil. Sooo, Maybe Ford just wants to keep this simple and safe for themselves by saying the crankcase capacity is 6 quarts but not telling people that another 1/2 quart is needed to fill the cooler back up. I don't guess all Ford v10 engine applications require an engine oil cooler like in an rv application I had a similar issue with my previous rv which had a 460 engine that took 1 full quart to fill the engine oil cooler back up.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Update :

I found a 2011 F53 manual online and it shows 7 quarts for the oil capacity, Ford made no changes on the V10 or the tranmssion from 2006 to 2015..

So it appears the manuals might be wrong on the 2006 to 2009, could not find the info on 2010.

And the dipsticks might be wrong as well on these years 2006-09, 7 quarts puts my reading slightly above the high mark and 6 quarts puts my reading at the low mark, 6 1/2 quarts puts me in the sweet spot..

So if you are putting in 6 quarts you might be running the oil level to low on the 2006 to 2009 F53's if you go buy the manual..

:C

Another Ford screw up...

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I just found out that the dipstick issue was before the 2006 3 valve V10's, it was in the 2 valve V10's around 1999 to 2003 or so.

And now the newer 3 valve V10's manual states 7 quarts but my 07 manual states 6 quarts but my dipstick says 6 1/2 quarts to have it at proper level.

It appears I am stuck some where in the middle of this confusing oil capacity, another Ford screw up..

So I am either adding to much or not enough oil.

:h

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
DFord wrote:
The owner's manual and Ford Motor Company are the final word here. If you're not following their recommendations, you're wrong. It's just that simple.

Well it appears that some where around 2016 to 2018 the manual now says 7 quarts, did ford make the oil pan larger or is it the same and they recognize their error.

I can not find a dipstick issue with the 2007 F53 model V-10 online, only the older V10's.

I think the error is in my manual..

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
The owners manual for our 2018 Miramar (2017 F53 chassis) says 7 quarts. That puts the dipstick just under the top of the full shaded area. I haven't noticed any oil consumption but only have 11,000 miles on my motorhome and have only done 3 oil changes so far.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
At 7 qts my V-10โ€™s never used any oil! And being a technician I would know. Also 10-12 hours on the highway at 70 mph would show any issues with being overfill on oil. So as far as Iโ€™m concerned 6 1/2-7qts is what I use.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Well we have 6, 6 1/2 and 7 quarts as to the replies on here, I just changed my oil over the weekend and it took 6 1/2 quarts this time with the motor craft oil filter.

6 quarts reads low on dipstick but not under the mark, 6 1/2 quarts has the oil level near the top but not on or over the mark.

Yes the manual say 6 but my dipstick says 6 1/2.

I never got the memo and never heard of the dip stick issue was on the 07 F-53 chassis.

Also to note I have always used around 6 1/2 quarts for the past 6 years without any issues or seal leakage and I never have to add oil even after 1 year.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
You can NOT rely on the marks on the dipstick.

Rely on the owner's manual and what Ford calls for. Back in the days that TSB was issued, the owners that put 7 quarts in complained the V-10 used oil. After they started to listen to reason and stopped at 6 quarts, the engines stopped using oil.

Again I say, unless you've made changes to the oil pan, 6 quarts is all that Ford recommends for the V-10. If you don't want to replace the dipstick, after changing oil and filter, refill the crankcase with oil. Run the engine for a couple minutes. Turn it off, let it set for awhile and using a file, put a new "Full" mark on the dipstick and adjust the add oil mark downward till it's the same distance it was below the original Full mark.

Or ignore good advice and do your own thing.
Don Ford
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
DFord wrote:
The original V-10 F-53 came with a short dipstick (1999-2000) making it appear it needed more oil to bring it up to the full mark. The replacement dipstick was Part # F81Z-6750-HC Indicator - Oil Level

The correct capacity of the V-10 in the F-53 has always been 6 quarts with a filter change unless you've modified the oil pan.

TSB 01-10-5 Publication Date: MAY 15, 2001

ENGINE - 6.8L - OIL LEVEL INDICATOR READS INACCURATE - SUPER DUTY F-53 MOTORHOME CHASSIS VEHICLES - UPDATED OIL LEVEL INDICATOR

FORD: 1999-2001 SUPER DUTY F-53 STRIPPED CHAS.

ISSUE:
On some 6.8L equipped Super Duty F-53 Motorhome chassis vehicles, the oil level readings on the engine oil level indicator (dipstick) may read inaccurate (low) when the actual levels are within acceptable limits and adequate oil volume is in the sump. This may be noticed after an oil change, 5.7 L (6 quarts) of oil are added, and the engine has been started to fill the galleys and filter. The engine oil level indicator may then indicate 0.47 to 0.95 L (1/2 to 1 quart) low. This may be caused by the oil level indicator design.

ACTION:
Remove engine oil level indicator and replace with new design engine Oil Level Indicator (F81Z-6750-HC) which has correct markings to record oil levels at acceptable ranges. The new indicator has a "loop" handle. The prior indicator has a "Tee" stick-type handle (Figure 1).

PART NUMBER PART NAME
F81Z-6750-HC Indicator - Oil Level

2002 Ford Excursion V-10 always took just over 6 1/2 qts. I always put the full 7 in and it was just over the full mark by a hair. Same goes for my 2012 F53. But on mine it seems to be full at the 61/2 qts. 6qts would make it below the full mark.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dickiebob
Explorer
Explorer
2006 F53 6.8 Liter 362hp V10 - 6 Quarts including filter
2007 Monaco Monarch SFS30 SVE
with 2006 Ford F53 V10
2001 Honda CRV Toad

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
The original V-10 F-53 came with a short dipstick (1999-2000) making it appear it needed more oil to bring it up to the full mark. The replacement dipstick was Part # F81Z-6750-HC Indicator - Oil Level

The correct capacity of the V-10 in the F-53 has always been 6 quarts with a filter change unless you've modified the oil pan.

TSB 01-10-5 Publication Date: MAY 15, 2001

ENGINE - 6.8L - OIL LEVEL INDICATOR READS INACCURATE - SUPER DUTY F-53 MOTORHOME CHASSIS VEHICLES - UPDATED OIL LEVEL INDICATOR

FORD: 1999-2001 SUPER DUTY F-53 STRIPPED CHAS.

ISSUE:
On some 6.8L equipped Super Duty F-53 Motorhome chassis vehicles, the oil level readings on the engine oil level indicator (dipstick) may read inaccurate (low) when the actual levels are within acceptable limits and adequate oil volume is in the sump. This may be noticed after an oil change, 5.7 L (6 quarts) of oil are added, and the engine has been started to fill the galleys and filter. The engine oil level indicator may then indicate 0.47 to 0.95 L (1/2 to 1 quart) low. This may be caused by the oil level indicator design.

ACTION:
Remove engine oil level indicator and replace with new design engine Oil Level Indicator (F81Z-6750-HC) which has correct markings to record oil levels at acceptable ranges. The new indicator has a "loop" handle. The prior indicator has a "Tee" stick-type handle (Figure 1).

PART NUMBER PART NAME
F81Z-6750-HC Indicator - Oil Level
Don Ford

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
+/- 1/2 qt will not make any difference to the engine. It does not know the difference.. IMO, I think it's worse to be over filled then even being a qt low...

Pretty sure all the Triton engines basically call for 6 qts, even the V10.

The dip sticks have a MIN to MAX range. As long as it's in the middle, you are going to be fine.. Go over MAX and that's overfilled and, well, do what you want at that point... ๐Ÿ™‚

I also don't follow the "10k" mile oil change interval.. I do 1/2 that and change at no more than 5k miles.

Remember, YMMV, so follow whatever works for you!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.