Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Water damage under shower.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Water damage under shower.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Baseballwife02

Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 03:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all! My husband and I just purchased a 2019 Forest River Salem 32 rlds. I was doing dishes and heard a noise.. ran to the bathroom and water was coming from under the shower. Turned everything off and opened the little panel to find my WORST nightmare. Water damage. There’s a hole cut under the subfloor that’s under the shower that apparently has been collecting water from longgggg before it was ours. I don’t even know where to begin with replacing this. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. This is our first RV and we’re only 2 weeks in.

Also to add... I checked all closets, cabinets, floors around the area and the subfloor does not look to be damaged at all in those areas. Just the area that was cut under the shower.

hondapro

Central Pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/20 04:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How long ago did you buy it? Is it still under warranty? If so I would start by contacting the dealer where you bought it. Also you need to get the water dried up asap.

Steve
2016 F-350 6.7 Diesel
2015 Springdale 311RE

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/20 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you tell where the leak is coming from? You need to do that first before you do any repair.

Lwiddis

Mojave, Kern County, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/20 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 on hondapro’s comment. PRONTO!

It’s not clear if you were hooked to city water. Were you using a pressure regulator? This is why I fill the tank and use the pump.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

William Willard

Brookins Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Open the valve to the gray water tank -- Could e full & backing up into shower P trap -- Bill Willard

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you have some loose compression fittings in the drain line plumbing, pretty typical. I don't thing the Amish craftsmen know how to tighten fittings up. Had the same deal with my new one but I checked all of them before I ever used it. They were all either loose or had inadequate blocking under them or both.

Very typical, what I never buy used, only new but I go over everything before using the first time, I dislike surprises.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first thought when ever I read this sort of thing is whether the manufacuter used plumbers putty fo rthe drain. If so, it wont last because it is not for use on plastics(sais so on the container). Use only 100% silicone.
I've seen numerous leaks in RV's and homes because of this mistake - often made by professional plumbers.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just had the same issue with my Forest River. Remove the p trap and remove the drain. Then stick a blow dryer into the hole.

Will take a pic of mine. Its drying right now.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't panic.

It's hard to tell what you mean but, first, fix the leak ! Then dry the floor. If the only place that got wet is under the shower, the shower floor is still firm, and the rest of the camper floor is still solid then I would not worry about it.

But, that's just me. Little things happen. I don't worry about them.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/20 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some have the floor hacked out under the shower so bad that there is little support. Then the drain pipes might take the load and crack, ask me how I know. If you can't find the problem, then pull the shower base and do it right.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Water damage under shower.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.