cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trailer lift kit

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
I'm interested in the 30 ft 1/2 ton tow-able 5th wheel from Grand Design's Reflection brand. Problem is the trailer sits too low for my standard 2019 Ram 2500 4x4 short bed truck. MORryde has a suspension kit (SRE 4000) that I believe raises the axles two inches. Larger rims would raise it up an additional inch, giving me a total of three inches which might be enough without compromising the overhang with the bed rails.
Anyone have the same problem and how did you resolve it? Thanks.
15 REPLIES 15

GPG52_
Explorer
Explorer
Lippert 87220 Correct Track Suspension Alignment Kit
Adds 2 inches of height to trailer
Tandem/double axle alignment kit allows authorized Correct Track Service centers to correct axle alignment issues
Bolt-on kit comes with everything necessary for double/tandem axle installation
Adjustable axle hanger allows for 1/4-inch adjustments on each side of trailer/RV
Adds 2 inches of height to trailer
When properly aligned, tires will run smooth and cooler
Tandem/double axle alignment kit allows authorized Correct Track Service centers to correct axle alignment
GPG 🙂
2014 Ford F250, 6.2L, 4.30 Ratio, 6 speed
2014 Cougar (by Keystone) 327 RES

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem with my 2013 Chevy. I replaced the shackles on my truck and it lowered it plenty to get the truck under the 5th wheel. I purchased the shackles online and had a local Monroe shop install them. When looking at the truck you cannot tell that the rear has been dropped.

Here is a link to some at Advanced Auto Parts

Rear Shackles

Good luck and happy camping!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
twodownzero wrote:
camp-n-family wrote:
twodownzero wrote:

I think you should be much more concerned that the manufacturer's claims of "1/2 ton tow-able" are nonsense and that you likely lack sufficient payload to pull any 5th wheel that big with your truck, especially if it has a 4 door cab, 4wd, and you plan on having passengers in the cab with.

He’s not towing it with a half ton, just looking at “ half ton towable” models. OP has a Ram 2500 which is plenty of truck.

I looked up the published weights on their website, and my common sense determined that to be a lie.

OMG! OMG! that 5er is too much for your TV!

I think the OP will be just fine. the OPs TV is a 2017 Ram, 2500, 6.4 Hemi, 4X4 he likely has near 3,000# of payload.

Reflection 29RS Specs
UVW1 8,816 lbs
Hitch Weight 1,538 lbs
GVWR 11,495 lbs
Length 30' 11"
Height 12' 3"

Even at full GVWR and a 22% pin weight it would only be 2,530#, that is only if the OP can stuff 2,679# of stuff in its 31' length.

I for one tow our 32' 5er at 12,500# with a 2001 Ram 2500 CTD, with a 8,800# GVWR. I ran 1,700# over GVWR, but under both axle and tire ratings, never an issue.
I did get a new TV for a future 5er, that is a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW CTD, and will say with the same 5er in tow I need to check the mirrors to see if it is still back there.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
OP....have you actually backed under the Reflection and checked the height with the pin weight on your hitch. I recently purchased a 30' Reflection 150 Series 5th wheel and it worked fine with my Ram 2500 2WD.

My previous trailer had to be lifted and converted to 16" wheels, but I was pleased to find the new Reflection set level and provided great bed clearance with the 15" factory wheels. Of course I did immediately change the tires out.

I do realize your truck is a 4WD so you may have to take measures to get the trailer level, but give it a try.

P.S. some of the above posts indicate your OP was not read before replying.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
2" longer shackles raised my trailer 2" (wheel well clearances) so I could use 16" tires. Doing so raised the trailers rear bumper 2.5".
Trailer was 31' 10" long
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
opnspaces wrote:
How much room are you looking to gain?

Look under the trailer at the axles. If it has leaf springs and they are under the axle then you can add a kit to put the springs on top. This will gain you about 6 inches (the thickness of the axle plus the thickness of the spring pack) Dexter makes a kit for this.
Link to kit

Do remember that any other lift methods have to be divided in half. A tire that is one inch taller only lifts the trailer by 1/2 inch. It's the same with a longer shackle. A 1 inch longer shackle on one end of the spring pack adds only 1/2 inch to the ride height.

A longer shackle will lower the trailer.:)

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
twodownzero wrote:

I think you should be much more concerned that the manufacturer's claims of "1/2 ton tow-able" are nonsense and that you likely lack sufficient payload to pull any 5th wheel that big with your truck, especially if it has a 4 door cab, 4wd, and you plan on having passengers in the cab with.

He’s not towing it with a half ton, just looking at “ half ton towable” models. OP has a Ram 2500 which is plenty of truck.

I looked up the published weights on their website, and my common sense determined that to be a lie.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
The MorRyde SRE4000 with the X-Factor brace is a good set up, or what I did was the Correct Track, and the X-Factor brace on the center hanger.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Road Phantom wrote:
I'm interested in the 30 ft 1/2 ton tow-able 5th wheel from Grand Design's Reflection brand. Problem is the trailer sits too low for my standard 2019 Ram 2500 4x4 short bed truck. MORryde has a suspension kit (SRE 4000) that I believe raises the axles two inches. Larger rims would raise it up an additional inch, giving me a total of three inches which might be enough without compromising the overhang with the bed rails.
Anyone have the same problem and how did you resolve it? Thanks.

Check to see if you have spacers in your truck's suspension. If so, they can be removed to lower your truck. Might have to do the front axle, too.

While doing an axle flip is the easiest, it's been a long time since I've seen a FW that didn't leave the factory with the axles under the springs.

One thing not mentioned, is to be sure that the spring hangers are in the lowest holes, if you have them and they're not already done.

A Correct Track alignment system will give you 2" of lift, provided you can find one. I've heard they've been discontinued, though they were still listed on LCI's web site as of a month ago, or so.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve seen a few newer 2500 Rams towing “Lite” fifthwheels with out any problems. The least heavy reflection has almost 1500 lb pin weight dry translating close to if not over 2,000. I think you will find it squatS your Ram an inch or two. I believe your only worry might be bed clearance.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
opnspaces has the ticket you are searching for.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
How much room are you looking to gain?

Look under the trailer at the axles. If it has leaf springs and they are under the axle then you can add a kit to put the springs on top. This will gain you about 6 inches (the thickness of the axle plus the thickness of the spring pack) Dexter makes a kit for this.
Link to kit

Do remember that any other lift methods have to be divided in half. A tire that is one inch taller only lifts the trailer by 1/2 inch. It's the same with a longer shackle. A 1 inch longer shackle on one end of the spring pack adds only 1/2 inch to the ride height.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Design generally builds a quality trailer and quality means heavy, or at least heavier than a cheaply built trailer of the same size.

Do NOT believe any truck sales person who says "You can pull that with this truck." They are "misinformed". Second only to trailer sales person who says "You can pull this with your current truck."

You know the GEICO commercial where the speaker's nose keeps growing?? That is what the sales people look like by the end of the day!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"