cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mecerdes Diesel

warrenjo46
Explorer
Explorer
We sold our Thor Vegas 24.1 with plans to go larger for more extended trips. Looking for a diesel pusher in the 34 to 38 foot range. Specific requirements are walk around queen bed, larger shower and washer/dryer. We got $45,000 for our Vegas so that is the budget.

Looked on line at a 2007 Alpha Founder with a 330 HP Mercedes diesel. The same model comes with a Cat diesel according to the NADA guide. Does anyone have any comments about the Mercedes diesel in a pusher configuration?

Warren
6 REPLIES 6

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
grldst wrote:
I do not have first hand experience with Mercedes or Navistar engines in RV's. However, I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night and following is the list of the most common RV engines listed in preference from top to bottom.....1. Cummins 2. Caterpillar 3. Mercedes 4. Navistar.

The Detroit 60 series is a very solid engine, but only available in top end motorhomes.

The Detroit 60 is in very old motor homes. Newer models have the DD 13.
2014 American Eagle

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Early Mec engines has problems meeting Air Pollution Regulation. I have seen them in OTR TRUCKS. Several of the big class C rigs have them.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

grldst
Explorer
Explorer
I do not have first hand experience with Mercedes or Navistar engines in RV's. However, I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night and following is the list of the most common RV engines listed in preference from top to bottom.....1. Cummins 2. Caterpillar 3. Mercedes 4. Navistar.

The Detroit 60 series is a very solid engine, but only available in top end motorhomes.

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
warrenjo46 wrote:
We sold our Thor Vegas 24.1 with plans to go larger for more extended trips. Looking for a diesel pusher in the 34 to 38 foot range. Specific requirements are walk around queen bed, larger shower and washer/dryer. We got $45,000 for our Vegas so that is the budget.

Looked on line at a 2007 Alpha Founder with a 330 HP Mercedes diesel. The same model comes with a Cat diesel according to the NADA guide. Does anyone have any comments about the Mercedes diesel in a pusher configuration?

Warren

STAY away from Alpha....the coaches had many, many, many quality issues.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
Last year we went from a 2017 Thor ACE 29.3 to a 07 Itasca Meridian DP and love it. We changed for the same reason you are looking. It has all thing items you asked for in your post plus a better build.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Bruce_Brown
From memory here that engine wasn't well received.

The brand itself is also one you may want to research. Not a lot of love for the Alpha.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910