cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaking antenna fix

mdryden
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. Got a new to me 2007 next level made by holiday rambler. While inspecting roof I noticed that the coax cord to the antenna was in bad shape. I decided to replace it which involved removing the antenna for access to the connection. The trailer spent a majority of its life in s California. I m glad I removed it (sort of). I noticed that water had been leaking down past the boot for the coax. The luan was wet in the area under the antenna but not soft. No damage or moisture to the insulation or ceiling. I left it open for a day (rain was coming) and reinstalled the antenna. I used butyl for the base and finished it up with self leveling caulk. I have been running a dehumidifier and forcing hot air into the ceiling with a hair dryer. Everything seems ok but I worry about mold and how much of the luan got wet. Does everyone think that I repaired it correctly or should I pull it back off and peel the membrane back? The membrane wasn’t glued to the luan directly under the antenna, so the luan was wet as far as I could see.
6 REPLIES 6

mdryden
Explorer
Explorer
Perfect I will check out the website. Thanks again for all the help!

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
As someone mentioned - the Winegard antenna has a gasket that wears out - it's super thin and is suppose to be lubed on regular basis (few bother). I replaced mine once - forget the particulars but Winegard has "how to" on there website. As far as the moisture - do what it takes to dry that area out and it would not hurt to spray the area with mold killer sold at most big boxes.
Kevin

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
One option is to take it back off and purposely flood the area with a mold spray. Then leave it open for as long as it takes to dry.

Had a friend that worked in mold remediation and he said never use bleach. Been years but i think he said it does not kill everything like people would expect. Box stores used to sell mold sprays. I applied some in an attic a long time ago. Not sure if they are still sold to the public in your particular town.

Might be worth peace of mind to spray something up there.

mdryden
Explorer
Explorer
Think I should take it back off and inspect further? I ran water on it and it doesn’t look like it is leaking anymore since I sealed up the boot...

There are a lot of cases that the O-rings on the antenna shaft break down and allow water past...

IF you have the old style Winegard crank style, call them and ask....

They are very good to work with..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Somewhere I read or heard that mold likes moisture. When the moisture goes away so does the mold; at least it does not continue to thrive.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)