Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: 2019–20 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> 2019–20 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 97  
Prev  |  Next
BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doug, I’ve been watching the new daily infections and positivity rate in IL. Here in MD (1/2 the population of IL) everyone is getting concerned because our positivity rate is hitting 5% and the daily infections are approaching our earlier peak of 1,782.

Our health department has just launched a cell phone alert/contact tracing phone app
MD Covid Alert

* This post was edited 11/10/20 10:00am by BCSnob *

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Regina, SK, we are under mandatory mask rules in public places as of November 7, 2020. Infection rate has gone from 0 two months ago to 252 active cases. Due to age I'm at high risk.

I hope there will be a viable vaccine soon.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MD has had mandatory public mask use since the spring.

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/20 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We also have mask mandate and have for months. Many schools that opened in a hybrid form have reverted back to all online.

As far as masks, I don't go out frequently and usually only to grocery first thing in AM after opening, but I have not seen a person WITHOUT a mask for weeks. Occasional person with mask not covering nose, but even that is unusual.

As far as risk, Sandy (DW) just got diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. Aside from age, diabetes, hypertension, Afib and now RA (starting on immunosupressives) she has no other risk factors [emoticon] .

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (12 year old Terrier of some sort), Sasha 3 yr old Golden
Kaiya at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No major mask mandate in SW Georgia yet. Walmart hands out masks but not required in the store. Most (I'd say 90%) wear them in the store. Our county is running about 4% infection rate.(22,000 people)

Grandkids in next county are back in school if they don't want to do online.

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been worried about my parents and sister because of their underlying conditions:

Parents
>80years
lung cancer survivor with part of lung removed
long term fungal lung infection
RA

Sister
Cancer
RA
BMI>30

I have two underlying conditions that might put me at greater risk
asthma
BMI 25-30

CDC Covid Underlying Conditions

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Senor BCSnob, my heart goes out to you, May your parents and relatives be protected by fate as is prevalent in so many cases.

As per my solid convictions, environments containing a massive number of virus per cc of air overwhelm even the best K95 mask, goggles, face shield, sterile hands, etc. I refuse to risk it, even with my silver impregnated N95.

Stale air, or circulated air, with a huge viral load is dangerous. It is impossible to gauge "When" atmosphere becomes dangerous. Trends and tendencies is the only marker and T&T is unreliable for a hard yes or no.

Outside air moving in a breeze is reliable but ridiculously unachievable in cold winter air or scalding hot summer scorchers.

I personally equate exposure to alpha radiation where emitters are people and there are no measurement devices. There is so-much-time and so much intensity.

I noted when I visited COSTCO in the USA that they had removed every other register. Too many were waiting for checkout. At least a dozen in each line. But management told me folks riding disabled carts had prompt service so I did not depart. I gave myself my standard seven feet radius clearance and FIFTEEN minutes shopping time. Overtop the registers the fans were blowing.

Incredibly few people are allowed to visit. Like 2 per week, fifteen minutes max, seven feet distancing luckily with doors and windows open. It takes extreme hard headiness to do this for months on end but I am not allowed even one slip up. I am not going-out, intubated. Period.

My kids are well versed in my theory and they do the same deep down in Mexico. Most of their shopping is done in an uncrowded open air market. I taught the eldest Pili, the coughing trick and it works well. She will abandon a vendor rather than risk it.

The three-quarters-hearted effort in developing a fast response SARS-Covid19-2 test is reprehensible. This pathogen is likely to mutate. And with the density of population ever increasing, only a fool would believe this is the last pandemic young people will ever experience. Today's infrastrure must never be allowed to wane even it means a tax increase. Genetic counterwarfare can be used against influenzae, and tackle a dozen other deadly pathogens.

And Britain's Health Ministry has finally declared Vitamin D3 as "essential" in the prophylaxis of the elderly and "at risk" versus the virus.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Re: vitamin D
This is a recent preprint

Quote:

Vitamin D - contrary to vitamin K - does not associate with clinical outcome in hospitalized COVID-19 patients
doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.11.07.20227512

SARS-CoV-2 causes remarkably variable disease from asymptomatic individuals to respiratory insufficiency and coagulopathy. Vitamin K deficiency was recently found to associate with clinical outcome in a cohort of COVID-19 patients. Vitamin D has been hypothesized to reduce disease susceptibility by modulating inflammation, yet little is known about its role in disease severity. Considering the critical interaction between vitamin K and vitamin D in calcium and elastic fiber metabolism, we determined vitamin D status in the same cohort of 135 hospitalized COVID-19 patients by measuring blood 25(OH)D levels. We found no difference in vitamin D status between those with good and poor outcome (defined as intubation and/or death). Instead, we found vitamin D sufficient persons (25(OH)D >50 nmol/L) had accelerated elastic fiber degradation compared to those with mild deficiency (25(OH)D 25-50 nmol/L). Based on these findings, we hypothesize that vitamin D might have both favorable anti-inflammatory and unfavorable pro-calcification effects during COVID-19 and that vitamin K might compensate for the latter.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sadly the articles and counter points have rendered Covid discussion into a morass that opened the door to the conspiracy wacko element. No vax no mask no density limit creepy crawlers that are going to make the post inoculation world unpleasant. Do we let them Darwin herd themselves, into natural compliance? Allow a grace period then pre existing condition insurance wise? While the majority is forced to retain masks and social postures?

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/20 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You raise a good point, however, let's move on as it will become political. And most of you have done so good posting thus far. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 97  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> 2019–20 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.