Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: 2019–2022 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> 2019–2022 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 152  
Prev  |  Next
BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/21 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moderna’s vaccine prevented delta breakthrough infections better than Pfizer’s.

Comparison of two highly-effective mRNA vaccines for COVID-19 during periods of Alpha and Delta variant prevalence
Preprint

Quote:

Both vaccines were highly effective during this study period against SARS-CoV-2 infection (mRNA-1273: 86%, 95%CI: 81-90.6%; BNT162b2: 76%, 95%CI: 69-81%) and COVID-19 associated hospitalization (mRNA-1273: 91.6%, 95% CI: 81-97%; BNT162b2: 85%, 95% CI: 73-93%). However, in July, the effectiveness against infection was considerably lower for mRNA-1273 (76%, 95% CI: 58-87%) with an even more pronounced reduction in effectiveness for BNT162b2 (42%, 95% CI: 13-62%). Notably, the Delta variant prevalence in Minnesota increased from 0.7% in May to over 70% in July whereas the Alpha variant prevalence decreased from 85% to 13% over the same time period.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/21 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moderna has an ongoing clinical trial testing a bivalent vaccine that could be used as a booster. The vaccine has mRNA for both the Wuhan variant and the Beta variant.

Press Release

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/21 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This was released by THE LANCET today and it is most interesting. It confirms what I have been suspecting for more than a year. More importantly it is excellent news with few if any negative points. Dosage time interval is proving extremely important. Something I hope the Virology department at Oxford University haunts BionTech with in perpetuity.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lance........rticle/PIIS0140-6736(21)01694-9/fulltext

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/21 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

These are encouraging results. I have one issue; I would like to have see the antibody titers between the prime and boost (especially for the ongoing 84 day protocol. Previous studies indicated the prime (alone) wasn’t very effective and waiting 12 weeks for the boost doesn’t seem like the best for public health. I personally would prefer to get to full protection faster even if that means I’ll need a 3rd shot to get longer duration of immunity.

2g's

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/21 10:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at this makes me sick!

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/kirstenchilstrom/lollapalooza-crowds

How will we ever get out of this?

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/21 10:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The wait is what killed the AstraZeneca Oxford recommendation. Data suggested insufficient efficacy with one dose and BioNtech rejected the university's findings outright, stating the limited inclusion of subjects age 60+ invalidated the university's findings. Yet dosing interval protocol went unstudied for in excess of a year and I find the wild variance in AZ efficacy from country to country to be most curious.
THANK GOODNESS the FDA did not accept Chinese claims at face value and refused to certify Chinese vaccines. Mexico has thrown the panic switch and has authorized a third booster of mRNA vaccine. I personally would volunteer as a prime and boost sample candidate for Sinovac + Pfizer but I have no idea where a blood draw could be taken. My reaction to the 1st Pfizer boost will determine whether I have the courage for another Pfizer jab in October. The Lancet reported such studies with SINOVAC are just getting underway. Personally I have zero doubts about prime and boost being a valid option for influenza inoculation. I am going to need good fortune to pass unscathed until the first of September without being infected.

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/21 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Living adjacent to Chicago, the Lollapalooza choice was a curious one. While they did require proof of vaccination or a negative corona test within 72 hours for admission and the wearing of masks in indoor spaces, it will be "interesting" to see what happens from an epidemiological standpoint. I think the decision to have the Sturgis rally equally or more problematic.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/21 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* This post was edited 08/10/21 07:44am by BCSnob *

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/21 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Sturgis rally is going to be another wait a few weeks and see again. But it may be harder this time to actually tell with the Delta outbreaks going on. And there are a lot of spin off rallies going on too.

Our riding group has cut back on our rides as far as bigger groups going to some places. But have also noticed campgrounds are packed now too. Some masked,vac'ed while others not.

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/21 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Caution.... in keeping with the intent of this thread please do not turn this topic political and avoid assumptions. Continue the good job you have been doing, for the most part, in citing legitimate sources for information you are posting. Thanks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 152  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> 2019–2022 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.