Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: 2019–20 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> 2019–20 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 111  
Prev  |  Next
BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/20 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my previous post I used “deployment” instead of using the more specific term “inoculation” (or use). I am aware the doses are currently being distributed (prepositioned) to minimize the time between EUA and inoculations.

My hope is that health care workers have been inoculated and boosted, and are producing neutralizing antibodies before the surge I am expecting after the Christmas/New Year’s holiday celebrations.

charlestonsouthern

Summerville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/20 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BC, the news media were confident enough to say that first responders and medical personnel are front and center as the first ones to receive the vaccine as per meetings presently going on to determine the line up for inoculation. If we all do what we need to do for others and ourselves, we can hope to dig ourselves out of this mess maybe in six months time (just my opinion). The only thing I do think about is any side effects; I wonder how much is known after the trials.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/20 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Read the article from Stat News I linked earlier in this thread

Here is a quote
Quote:

HHS Secretary Alex Azar and White House coronavirus task force coordinator Deborah Birx are pushing to have seniors precede health workers in the vaccine rollout schedule, because of the high death rate among older and elderly adults, according to the senior government official

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/20 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

Read the article from Stat News I linked earlier in this thread

Here is a quote
Quote:

HHS Secretary Alex Azar and White House coronavirus task force coordinator Deborah Birx are pushing to have seniors precede health workers in the vaccine rollout schedule, because of the high death rate among older and elderly adults, according to the senior government official

A different take on that could be, seniors might be more susceptible to side effects, and maybe should not be first in line ... Rock and a hard place steps up again. [emoticon]

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

charlestonsouthern

Summerville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/20 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Monkey44, I was hoping that the CDC might disclose those possible side effects which would be recorded from the three trials. By the way, there are always some risks to these things, even flu vaccines, but if we don't take the vaccine, I think the risks are higher (just my opinion).

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 03:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Meanwhile profoundly deep quarantine (cuarantina down here) is my best ally. I am using fat globule breaking hand soap, surgeon's scrub, and a KN95 mask. Surveying customer density in stores before I enter and insisting on a 7' radius around me. Time limits and exposure day limits per week. I just got zapped with a case of Salmomella food poisoning to keep me hinedt
Me honest. If I am forced to wait tough luck. But I an not going to wait in an overcrowded waiting room

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As we approach the time when vaccines will become available one topic that has been brought up is if these vaccines will provide immunity to the various strains of SARS-cov-2 that are circulating and future strains (the virus is continually mutating).

Here is a preprint that address the ability of antibodies produced against the first strain to cross react against the current dominate strain providing immunity against both strains.

Neutralizing antibodies from early cases of SARS-CoV-2 infection offer cross-protection against the SARS-CoV-2 D614G variant
doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.10.08.332544
October 9, 2020

Quote:

Random mutations in the viral genome is a naturally occurring event that may lead to enhanced viral fitness and immunological resistance, while heavily impacting the validity of licensed therapeutics. A single point mutation from aspartic acid (D) to glycine (G) at position 614 of the SARS-CoV-2 spike (S) protein, termed D614G, has garnered global attention due to the observed increase in transmissibility and infection rate. Given that a majority of the developing antibody-mediated therapies and serological assays are based on the S antigen of the original Wuhan reference sequence, it is crucial to determine if humoral immunity acquired from the original SARS-CoV-2 isolate is able to induce cross-detection and cross-protection against the novel prevailing D614G variant.

Quote:

Fortunately, a recent pre-print reported no observable difference in IgM, IgG and IgA profiles against either S variant in an antigen-based serological assay (22), providing preliminary findings on the effectiveness of current diagnostic approaches to detect SARS-CoV-2 G614 infections. In addition, determining the level of cross-reactivity is essential for immunosurveillance, as well as to identify broadly neutralizing antibodies or epitopes (23). Here, we confirm that cross-reactivity occurs at the functional level of the humoral response on both the S protein variants. Our results, together with the recent serological evaluation (22), strongly suggest that existing serological assays will be able to detect both D614 and G614 clades of SARS-CoV-2 with a similar sensitivity.

A mutation on the spike protein occurred and this strain (D614G) has become the dominant strain.

This mutation did not impact the effectiveness of current diagnostic tests for infections
D614G Spike Variant Does Not Alter IgG, IgM, or IgA Spike Seroassay Performance

The antibodies produced by the body against one strain cross reacted with viruses from the other strain.

Vaccines and therapeutics being developed against the original strain should be effective against the current dominate strain.

* This post was last edited 12/01/20 01:16pm by BCSnob *   View edit history

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

charlestonsouthern wrote:

Monkey44, I was hoping that the CDC might disclose those possible side effects which would be recorded from the three trials. By the way, there are always some risks to these things, even flu vaccines, but if we don't take the vaccine, I think the risks are higher (just my opinion).

Agree, still between the rock and the hard place ?? We never know until hindsight tells us. I'd always like to think in the positive, and any antidote or vaccine will work well on all ages. HOPE. We should all carry that around in our word basket. [emoticon]

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am hoping the AZ format of hindering cell penetration by the pathogen spikes is not limited to one variant. Humanity is getting awesome in its micro sophistication.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a peer reviewed article in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences which concluded:

Quote:

The rapid spread of the virus causing COVID-19, SARS-CoV-2, raises questions about the possibility of a universally effective vaccine. The virus can mutate in a given individual, and these variants can be propagated across populations and time. To understand this process, we analyze 18,514 SARS-CoV-2 sequences sampled since December 2019. We find that neutral evolution, rather than adaptive selection, can explain the rare mutations seen across SARS-CoV-2 genomes. In the immunogenic Spike protein, the D614G mutation has become consensus, yet there is no evidence of mutations affecting binding to the ACE2 receptor. Our results suggest that, to date, the limited diversity seen in SARS-CoV-2 should not preclude a single vaccine from providing global protection.

A SARS-CoV-2 vaccine candidate would likely match all currently circulating variants
PNAS September 22, 2020 117 (38) 23652-23662

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 111  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> 2019–20 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.