cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1987? Bigfoot Fiberglass Camper project time!

charles_the_3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I'm fulfilling a longtime dream and just bought an old Bigfoot Fiberglass camper (not sure the year, all the info has faded in the sun) and in light of what's going on, I figured I'd give it the love it deserves!
Here's my plan for it:
Ceiling sags alot and has signs of water damage in the panelling. Rip it out and see what exactly is going on up there and fix any fibreglass leaks.
The hydraulic jacks are pretty old but work, it took a lot of pumping for one of them to get working so if I can find some, replace them.
Fridge is no good. Fired it up and instant ammonia overload so gotta replace that.
Furnace and oven/stove both work, but not the biggest fan of propane heat so if I can find it, replace it with a wood stove.
The vent above the stove leaks a little. It has been raining and little drips of water come down from it so I'll have to re seal that.
Windows could use a re vamp. I can feel the cold air coming in from them. I will probably have to re seal them all.
In the next couple days I will rip out all the old lovable but ghetto panelling and eventually replace that.
Lights and everything work when a cord is run to it and also works on battery alone but they could use a re vamp.
I'm not the best electrician but camper to truck connection doesn't work so I'll have to figure that out.
Obviously truck tie downs are a priority, I just used the straps to get it home for the reno.

That's roughly the plan as of now! If anyone has tips or suggestions they'd be greatly appreciated. I'm very new to this, owning a camper dealio so this will be a fun (I hope) learning experience. I'm a university student off school cause of the current state of the world so trying to do things cheap(ish). I'll post some photos in a bit!
14 REPLIES 14

ryoung
Explorer
Explorer
OMG, can we have just one thread please where someone doesnโ€™t bitsch about truck payload, length, center of gravity ?

X3

ryoung
2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
bwc wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Think I'd start with a newer longer bed pickup truck. You buggy is very marginal.

OMG, can we have just one thread please where someone doesnโ€™t bitsch about truck payload, length, center of gravity ?

Exactly.

No kidding- ^

looks like a great project

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Cool project and a Bigfoot to boot..Looks good on your truck..I sold a 8.6 Lance to a guy with a shortbed 350 and it looked all but exactly as yours does with the tailgate down..He's still driving it like that 4 years later without any issues...

Keep the pictures coming...
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

bwc
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Think I'd start with a newer longer bed pickup truck. You buggy is very marginal.

Exactly.
2003 Dodge Laramie SLT 3500 dually diesel 4x2 auto and 2009 Northstar 9.5 Igloo U. Love this combo. Very fuel efficient, lots of room, easy to park and set up.

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
Camper looks good for itโ€™s age. Will be worth your work when done. The Bigfoot clock above the sink is priceless! Keep us updated on your progress
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XLโ€™s.

sandblast
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:

X2 Grit Dog
Truck probably is more stout than a 1997 model

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
Wow, that is a great project to do...

I would contact the BF mfg and find out what contact cement they are using first of all.

Getting foam and laminating 1/8" paneling on it then mounting it is the way to go. I would be using something like the 3m contact 90... Got to use something that will hold up to the heat.

The wood paneling is what create the strength for the fiberglas structure.
Many fellas have performed repairs to the BF and NL's in places where the foam debonded from the fiberglas.

As for the color of the BF for those early years they were not white. They were Colonial White which looks like a faded white. You may find that is true of yours.

Post pictures of your progress and good luck!

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
SidecarFlip wrote:

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Wow that camper looks pretty clean! Cant wait to see the project!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
As a fellow Bigfoot Owner, I tip my hat to you for taking on such a project. Please be sure to document as much as you can as it will become an invalable resource to other owners of Fiberglass campers. Especially when it comes to the roof repair that looks like a challenge.

I like the layout that you have and I think one of the best parts about a Bigfoot is that many of them have more usable counterspace than other campers.

It is a great project you have to tackle and I look forward to seeing the results!

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"Furnace and oven/stove both work, but not the biggest fan of propane heat so if I can find it, replace it with a wood stove."

99.9% of RVers use propane for heat, cooking, fridges and water heating because it is the best way when camping.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

charles_the_3rd
Explorer
Explorer

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I think your biggest challenge will be roof.
If it is roten, than most likely dryrot is in the walls as well.
Might be easier start from scratches and use appliances in new construction.