cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

insurance

artron9
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a 1991 Skyline Nomad that is permanently residing in a condominium trailer park at York Maine. I am having trouble getting insurance for it because of it proximity to the ocean. Its not on the water but down the street about 125 yds from it. Im sure that others have insurance at this park but none of the owners are around and wont be until may 1. Im sure some of you may have run into the same situation. If you have any ideas I would appreciate your response! Sincerely Ron
8 REPLIES 8

artron9
Explorer
Explorer
You guys have given me some mindful insights into the feasibility of trailer insurance.
I really bought the unit for its proximity to the ocean. Five minute walk to Long Sands Beach in York Maine. Due to my age, prospects of a newer trailer are not in the cards. I do appreciate your comments and suggestions. Ron

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
DP
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
put the insurance payment money towards some pontoons. Strap them under the TT, if the water gets that high, you will have a houseboat!:B
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
29 years old? By the ocean? I'd consider it a throw-away, not worth insuring.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I suspect Wayne is pretty much correct, just because it is "permanently" moored in that spot does not mean it has any insurable value to an insurance Company.

RVs generally of that age are not worth more than the scrap value of the metal that is there so convincing an insurance Company to underwrite an insurance policy for a few thousand is going to be difficult and not to mention prohibitively expensive.

To put this into perspective, my TT which is a 1984 model I purchased for $700 12 yrs ago. I put just under $4K into rebuilding it from water damage, it is still only worth $700 and it would be a hard sell at that price even though the water damaged wood and paneling has been removed and replaced.

Unless the trailer park specifically requires you to have insurance liability coverage you might be able to get a "renters" policy to cover the CONTENTS ONLY.. But there may be occupancy requirements so ask questions..

Hate to say it, but if you paid more than a couple of thousand you may have paid too much even if it is pristine condition.

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
What value would you insure a 29 year old trailer for? Would the premiums equal your investment in short order?
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You tried an independent agent in the York area?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
Check with Progressive

Guy