cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adjust WDH?

bjkb1f
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from our first trip with our new TT (2019 Alpha Wolf 26DBH-L). TV is a 2018 F150 and the WDH is a Fastway E2.

The dealer installed the WDH and I ended up adjusting it because they didn't do it right. Now, I'm questioning the install as well.

It towed like an absolute dream so I'm inclined to leave it be. However, the spring bars are slightly angled up toward the trailer - not parallel with the frame. I'm wondering if I should adjust the L brackets down a notch and add a washer or two to the hitch head. I would think this would maintain a similar amount of weight distribution.

I guess my question is, does the angle of the spring bar affect anything? It's not far off from parallel, but is slightly higher in the rear where it meets the L bracket.
6 REPLIES 6

bjkb1f
Explorer
Explorer
This is pretty much what I was thinking. I didnโ€™t check to see how they were sitting on the brackets but I will check next time. Thanks all!

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Look at the surface of the L bracket where the bars rest. Is it polished equally across or only at the front edge? If it is polished evenly across the surface then the bars are resting on it just fine. If not then I would do as you mentioned and add a washer or two to get a bit more tilt to the hitch head and then lower the L bracket one notch to see if that helps.

The problems with having them not adjusted flat on the L brackets is that 1. they make more noise. 2. They do not apply sway control evenly throughout the sway event. 3. The may make the L bracket move from its' mounting position on the A frame.
It is fairly easy to adjust so there is no reason to not have it just right. It just takes a bit of time. :). The sticky at the top of the forum deals mostly with the chain type of hitch but the theory behind the the adjustments is the same.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
If the bars arenโ€™t parallel then they probably arenโ€™t sitting flush on the L brackets. Iโ€™d look there first. If they are flat on the brackets Iโ€™d leave it alone, if not, make the adjustment.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Have you already unhooked the trailer? You could measure from the ground to the front and rear wheel wells and save that info to check their work. If you already dumped your tanks then the trailer will be slightly lighter and not ideal. But still worth writing down those numbers real quick if hooked up and parked level.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Sticky at the top of this forum may help...
wdh setup
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Slightly higher, almost parallel and towed like a dream? Leave it alone.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad