Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How many amps does my inverter provide
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How many amps does my inverter provide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/20 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I have a Zamp ZP-300PS or a P-600PS pure sign wave inverter, how many amps does it put out at 120 volts?

Am I calculating correctly at 300w \ 120 v = 2.5 amps AC?
If I use a 600W inverter then am I only going to see 5 amps AC?

The ultimate question is; if I want to plug a computer power cord (18/3 x 18 inches) to power something, is the 18 gauge heavy enough to prevent melting down the cord? Keep in mind that this is power coming out of either the 300 or 600w inverter and not coming from a city utility line. Below is the spec sheet for the two inverters.

[image]

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/20 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, 18 gauge is sufficient. The ampacity of the cable is somewhere in the vicinity of 7A, or possibly more depending on the temperature rating and type of the cable.

Your computation of current available is correct. The actual current that flows depends on what you plug into the other end of the cord, just as for a household outlet or battery or any other voltage source.

Lwiddis

Mojave, Kern County, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/20 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ran the numbers and agree with DrewE.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/20 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're OK.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/20 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep in mind in order for your 12VDC Power Inverter to produce the [email protected] AMPS it will want to draw around 25AMPS DC from your 12VDC Battery setup...

This is not measuring for any deficiencies

It takes a lot of 12VDC battery current to operate the Power Inverters...

If you only one 12VDC Battery ON-LINE do not expect it to perform very long powering a 25AMP 12VDC load... To keep from doing internal damage to my batteries internally I will not let the Battery get discharged below its approximate 50% charge state which will around 12.0VDC reading on a DC VOLTMETER... When my batteries get down to this level it takes me around three hours of generator run time to get them back up to their 90% charge rate so I can do this all over again the next day/night run off the batteries.

Roy Ken

[image]

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/20 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all, I figured I was good but wanted to be sure. The inverter is only going to be powered by an ignition positive source to power a few phone chargers so I'm not too concerned about draining the battery. But it is good to know about the limitations.

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/20 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quick look at the specs I would find a different one. The 1a USB output is very very low.

About a year ago I went with a "cube". Can find the model later.

It's got dual 2.4a USB outputs that work with the inverter turned off. So no fan noise.

Also more efficient going from 12v DC to 5v DC. Instead of 12v DC to 120AC back down to 5vDC.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/20 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, Nothing wrong with your math and yes an 18 Ga cord can handle that.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/20 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

Thanks all, I figured I was good but wanted to be sure. The inverter is only going to be powered by an ignition positive source to power a few phone chargers so I'm not too concerned about draining the battery. But it is good to know about the limitations.
All of our recent phones use a USB cord which can be plugged into a 12V DC to USB adapter. A LOT cheaper and more efficient than using an inverter.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/20 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

It is always a good idea to do some local dry runs to be sure you not getting into trouble being caught off guard...

I do back yard runs and I also am within 25 miles of a nice camp ground... Can run to Lowes or WALMART to pick up things haha...

Roy Ken
[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How many amps does my inverter provide
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.