cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batteries on of off

Mtn_Mike1
Explorer
Explorer
This will be the first time that I leave the motorhome on the lot in Florida. What is the consensus on turning my coach and chassis batteries off.
I will be on shore power for the 6 months I'm gone and don't know it the batteries should be left on or off.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike
2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor pushed by a 2013 Mazda Miata
10 REPLIES 10

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2 you just never no.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Florida...First thing that comes to my mind is thunderstorms, then hurricanes, then tornadoes.

If it was mine it would NOT be connected to power.

I'd disconnect the fully charged batteries and then show up a day early to take it out of storage and charge the batteries.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Top off the water and leave them on. Check that the chassis battery is actually getting a charge.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
garym114 wrote:
Just disconnect the batteries, no need for shore power.
Disconnect by removing the ground cable.

And use a small trickle charger to maintain them.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
garym114 wrote:

Six months (or even three months) disconnected in Florida summer temperatures will cause them to self-discharge a lot...most likely to the point of permanent damage. Six months in subfreezing temperatures is far, far less of a problem.

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Your year Model has an Inverter/Charger. Your Coach battery disconnect does NOT turn the batteries OFF from the Inverter/Charger. While plugged into 120 shore the Inverter/Charger will be trickle charging the coach batteries. Your year model, Monaco may NOT have optioned the Bi directional relay that would also trickle charge the Chassis batteries. Regardless, I would install a battery maintainer on the chassis for the months you plan to store. So, disconnect the Coach battery by the ON/OFF switch and your coach batteries will be charged and maintained. Use the link to see just one type of battery maintainer. Doug

https://www.batterytender.com/Battery-Tender-Junior-12V-0-75A

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Is there a reason that you need to leave the coach plugged in for the 6 months? If the refrigerator is not going to be left running then there is really no reason to leave the coach plugged in.

But if you want to leave the coach plugged in to keep the batteries charged up, we would need to know the make and model of the converter/charger unit.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
You will need to tell us exactly what converter or inverter/charger you have.

If a smart one and will maintain the batteries at around 13.0-13.2 VDC leave it plugged in. Yes, that is where you want it in summer temps. Higher if cooler temps.

If not, disconnect, but in 6 months, expect their self-discharge rate to pretty well deplete them.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What is your controller’s make and model?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad