cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sandpaper 5th wheel

rayroof10
Explorer
Explorer
I have a question about my roof top a.c. l have my camper parked and set up at a site with about 35 others. And when it really hot and everyoneIs running their AC some of the campers Air conditioners trips out that's because the wiring is old in the park what I was wondering they habit extra hours campsite beside me that no one is using is there any way I can hook up my rooftop air conditioner straight to that of the site Using a heavy duty extension cord
24 REPLIES 24

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
garyp4951 wrote:
What # grit is your sandpaper.lol
Hmm.. maybe he really does have a Sandpaper 5th wheel.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
So based on my pic above did I pass or fail?

Wasn't a pass/fail issue.

It's PREFERABLE not to add more connections and cabling.

Not, YOU WILL DIE A FIERY DEATH IF YOU DO THIS.

I do believe less connections the better but I did use quality connectors VS some of the CHITZ that’s out there. If my AF ever fails it’s a simple unplug/plugin and I am back.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Wasn't a pass/fail issue.

It's PREFERABLE not to add more connections and cabling.

Not, YOU WILL DIE A FIERY DEATH IF YOU DO THIS.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
In the real world, the voltage drop on a 50 foot 3/#6 RV cord is not measurable!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:
laknox wrote:
rayroof10 wrote:
One more thing how or those hooked up. Is at the power supply or inside camper. Talking about the booster.

You can hook up the Hughes at the pedestal, but it's much safer to use a cord from the pedestal to the Autoformer in the pass-through, then another cord from the box to the coach plug.

Lyle

You don't want to use extra cords if you can avoid it. Voltage drops as a function of cable length, so longer cabling runs and extra connections eat up voltage and at high amps, connections are a potential point of failure.

If you put it inside a hatch, make sure there is an air space around it (don't pile stuff on it), so that the heat can dissipate. If you do put it inside, best to hard wire it into the panel.

Personally, I'd use my 25' Camco cord from the pedestal to the box, then make/have made a short cord to go the ~8-10' needed to go to the coach plug. 'Bout the same OAL length as a standard OEM cord.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rayroof10 wrote:
Did good thanks for your help.

SWEET!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

rayroof10
Explorer
Explorer
Did good thanks for your help.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
laknox wrote:
rayroof10 wrote:
One more thing how or those hooked up. Is at the power supply or inside camper. Talking about the booster.

You can hook up the Hughes at the pedestal, but it's much safer to use a cord from the pedestal to the Autoformer in the pass-through, then another cord from the box to the coach plug.

Lyle

You don't want to use extra cords if you can avoid it. Voltage drops as a function of cable length, so longer cabling runs and extra connections eat up voltage and at high amps, connections are a potential point of failure.

If you put it inside a hatch, make sure there is an air space around it (don't pile stuff on it), so that the heat can dissipate. If you do put it inside, best to hard wire it into the panel.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
laknox wrote:
rayroof10 wrote:

Lyle

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rayroof10 wrote:

It should be FIRST in line! Preferably locked inside the RV, people like to take then.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
rayroof10 wrote:

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

rayroof10
Explorer
Explorer

rayroof10
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks a lot for every ones help and input l will be getting me one hopefully this week. Thanks a lot 're

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I have owned this 50A AutoFormer since 2011, works well. I have done this type of install on two DRV's with same AF.

If it ever goes bad I simply would unplug and connect the cord caps.

We have the 30amp version and in parks with marginal voltage, it has really helped.

Even if the park voltage is 105v and technically within spec for the air/con, I am much happier with it boosted north of 115v.

This may be your first experience but it's a common problem at RV parks during peak periods. Harping on the park owner is unlikely to do anything. It can easily run into the 10s of thousands of dollars to address the issue which may only happen a handful of days per year.

PS: Also get a voltage monitor you can see inside, so if voltage gets too low, you can turn off the air/con before burning it out. Under $10 you can get one that plugs into an outlet and provides constant readings.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'