cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6 volt batteries in series

dalefuji
Explorer
Explorer
I have two 6-volt batteries wired in series. If I understand this right, this gives me 12 volts and 100 amp. If I had two 12-volt batteries wired in parallel I would have 200 amps.
Can I switch to 2@ 12 volt batteries without problems with the power inverter or do I have to change or upgrade power inverter.
23 REPLIES 23

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:

One thing to think about.. When you take two 6 volt batteries and put 'em in series like this:

-{6v}+-{6v}+==== 12 volt

What you have is a SINGLE 12 volt battery.

You put two pair in a series/parallel

-{6v}+-{6v}+==== 12 volt
-{6v}+-{6v}+==== 12 volt

You still have one 12 volt battery (around 450 amp hours).

SNIPPED

You got this right. I read a lot of posts from internet battery experts on here, and they are knowledgeable, but no one ever gets this part correct. I am NOT saying I am an expert.

For a few years I worked with a guy that did PMs on strings in power plants and sub stations. The individual unit is a jar, the entire string is a battery.

When I was working with him, we did batteries up to 250 volts made up of 2 volt jars (which are really just huge 2 volt plastic containers).

That is where the term "jars" comes from, it actually is correct. The testing tools in THAT industry still call the individual cells jars, and the whole group is a string, with the connectors called straps.

Even today I have access to a Midtronics battery analyzer. I do enjoy it, if nothing else just so I can still play with it.

As I said, I am NOT an expert, trust me, MEX knows WAY more about this stuff than I do.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I see in the Bass Pro/Cabelas catalog that they have three types of batteries.starting; deep cycle/starting; and deep cycle.
are you naysayers calling them liars or are you just mistaken.
bumpy

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
OP?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:

Trolling motor service is basicaly light duty and the related chargers are not all that powerful. That all works in your favor.

Matt

current trolling motors run up to 36 volt models. so I am advised by my professional consultant. and slamming the troller wide open for a day, then slamming it on a charger overnight for the next day is not "light duty".

I certainly agree however that the majority of the folks do use them in relatively "light" duty. but my main question was concerning the inherent explosion built in when two 12 volters are used in parallel.
bumpy

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
for the last 60 years fisherpersons have used two 12 volt batteries in parallel to run their trolling motors. I have Never heard of this explosion. I certainly would not take this "fact?" into consideration on my setup.
bumpy

Bumpy,
I have seen one (and only one) explosion in a trolling motor bank of parallel 12V. That happened when the owner tried to use it to crank the big motor on his bass boat.

Trolling motor service is basicaly light duty and the related chargers are not all that powerful. That all works in your favor.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Matt,

How about explosion/issues with 4x 6V for 12V?

I have never seen or gotten paid to clean up after a bank of 6V that had problems.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Not all batteries are alike.

12 volt batteries. most of these are MARINE/deep cycle or MARINE/rv Now Trolling batteries are True DEEP CYCLE.

IMHO, any battery that advertises Cold Cranking Amp (CCA) or Marine Cranking Amps (MCA) is NOT a true deep discharge battery.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
There are boats and then there are boats. My trawler had 3x 8D batteries, large heavy puppies. Never had a problem but batteries do explode but not to often IFAIK.

Lead acid batteries explode when over charged/over discharged (welding/shorted) and/or the liquid level is low.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Most 6V GC batteries used in RVs are 230A giving you 12V at 230Ah. Most 12V RV batteries are about 80Ah giving you 160Ah. Marine deep cycle batteries are a compromise and not much better than starting batteries.

If you buy your batteries at Sams Club or Costco, a pair of GC2 golf cart batteries will cost less and as stated, give you more power.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
The Trojan J150 is a 12 volt true deep cycle battery for you to consider. 150 AH

http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/datasheets/J150_Trojan_Data_Sheets.pdf

Check the price! $$$ OUCH !!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
CA Traveler wrote:
Matt,

How about explosion/issues with 4x 6V for 12V?

One thing to think about.. When you take two 6 volt batteries and put 'em in series like this:

-{6v}+-{6v}+==== 12 volt

What you have is a SINGLE 12 volt battery.

You put two pair in a series/parallel

-{6v}+-{6v}+==== 12 volt
-{6v}+-{6v}+==== 12 volt

You still have one 12 volt battery (around 450 amp hours).

I run a six volt pair in parallel with 3 different size 12 volts.
I've never had a battery explosion (I'd like to run all one size on the 12 volts but. alas.. store was sold out)

But.. IF one, espically the smallest, shorts, an explosion is possible.. Now least you worry.. the "Exploison" is about as powerful as a bubble gum popping. but it scatters all the acid in the battery which is why you need to do a soda wash.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:
Interesting... I never heard batteries called jars. .
Yeah, there's a few on here who do that. I guess that originated from the first batteries.. Leyden jars. Also, shorter word than batteries.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting... I never heard batteries called jars.

I learn something new on here everyday.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
dalefuji wrote:
Can I switch to 2@ 12 volt batteries without problems with the power inverter or do I have to change or upgrade power inverter.
You do really mean inverter, or converter? No changes to your CONverter, which charges your batteries.