cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How are your solar panels mounted?

Twistedlarch
Explorer
Explorer
How do you all have your panels mounted on your roof? Does anyone have a set up that allows you to angle in any direction to maximize sun exposure?

Thanks
Brian
45 REPLIES 45

babock
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:
You're still discussing it.
yep...not going to discuss anymore...I think we all know which is the best way!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My gloriously powerful and efficient factory system is mounted in its entirety to the top of one of my AC units. It does a splendid job of keeping the batterys up (as long as I'm also plugged in...) and making the little controller on the wall put on an impressive show - which I believe, was the whole point of the "solar system".
OTOH, I'm sure it adds something. It would do a good job of keeping up with a cell phone charger (for one unused phone).

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine are portable and not mounted anywhere. They can be put in the sun and the angle can be changed. There is some danger of leaving them unattended and having them take a walk.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
babock wrote:
ajriding wrote:
So are you! Screws!!!!!

no, Im not. Please stop being annoying. The forum is not the place, Facebook is where you go to be annoying and argumentative. We want to share ideas here, not argue screws.
A forum works great when people, who have done something, share it, and others share something they did that is similar or maybe completely different. The reader gets ideas and can learn. Having someone keep insisting that their method be crowned is not helpful.
So many of these forum topics are filled with opinions of those with no knowledge of the topic, and quick little clever comments meant to be somehow funny that the forum is becoming useless. Let's keep to topic and be nice.

babock
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:
So are you! Screws!!!!!

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
You're still discussing it. Zero people will be interested in this topic of how some feel about putting in holes, zero.
Let us know how you mounted yours and leave it at that. Your post will be there forever, so no need to keep reasserting it, it was read, holes and all.
I stated I do not like putting holes in mine. That was my post and my camper. There is not right or wrong, just opinions here.
Please stop trying to convince people that holes are good or bad. It has been discussed too much already
thanks

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
babock wrote:
ajriding wrote:
OK, lets stop discussing if putting a hole in the roof is as good as not putting a hole in the roof. This is a pointless and futile discussion.
LOL....of course! We all know its better to screw them down....that is except you.

My thought.........2 cents worth. The roof was built by humans with good materials. Hopefully they used the good materials blended with some skill and abilities. Where am I going with this? The factory workers aren't magicians. They are humans like us. We have all the same stuff available to us to do this work. We can do just as good or very likely better than what they do. I personally have no fear of punching holes all over my roof.........cause I-gots-da-skeeeeeels and all the right stuff to cut holes, mount things, do maintenance and make repairs to my roof. You also get to know your roof better too. I say do it!
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

babock
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:
OK, lets stop discussing if putting a hole in the roof is as good as not putting a hole in the roof. This is a pointless and futile discussion.
LOL....of course! We all know its better to screw them down....that is except you.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer

babock
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:
It just requires attention to monitor the state of your sealant, and re-application of Lap sealant as needed.
You have to go up and inspect lap sealant anyway on all the other huge holes on the roof. I have had to replace more of the lap sealant that the factory has put up there on everything else than the solar panels I put up. The lap sealant area for the 4 solar panels I put up is just a fraction of the total lap sealant up there.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
6-8 inches is high. Is this at the front or the rear of the roof?
It still might be protected somewhat by the roof turbulence.

Look up some photos or videos of how air flows over a vehicle roof of a trailer. The air will hit the front, then make a high arch over the first 5-6 feet (who knows...) of the roof then descend back down closer. The air next to the roof will always be turbulent, so your panels, if in the turbulent air, will not be hit with highway speed forces.

An aero camper roof would have a large bubble on top of the front half or third of the roof to match this air flow shape, not flat all the way. You see some class-c campers like this.

I would never drill holes into my roof unless I had to, but that's me, but as other mention, you can do so and never have leaks. It just requires attention to monitor the state of your sealant, and re-application of Lap sealant as needed. If you need to drill then do what you need to do.

On a note about the wires.
I used little plastic wire holders from Radio Shack. These are 1.5 inch square plastic pieces with a wire hold on top where you can zip tie a wire to, and pre-installed foam tape under. Meant for stereo systems in your house probably, but works on the roof. This keeps the wires from moving, and is a little neater than using Lap sealant to spot weld it down.
Important also: I then cover all the wires with wire loom. This protects the wires from the UV light. I used white to stay cooler, but black will work too. Cover anything that is exposed to the sun. This will keep wires from cracking over the years since the panels are supposed to last up to 20 years.

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
I opted to lay them flat. Went to hardware store and bought a 4 foot piece of angle aluminum. Used the chop saw to make uniform size brackets about 2 inches each. I screwed them into side of panel careful not to screw into the panel only the frame. Applied a generous amount of Dicor roof sealant flipped it over and placed on roof where i wanted it. Once screwed in I covered the screwed head and around he outside of the bracket with more Dicor. Never a leak mounted 6 panels that way. Highway speeds no problem. Charging no problem.

PS attach your wire or at least a long enough pig tail to make the electrical connections.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
Considering mounting a panel to my existing roof rack (nervous about drilling into roof).

Anyone seen this done? Good idea? The only con I see is possibly aerodynamic as it will be riding 6-8" above the roof.
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
AJ, I love VHB tape. I can see it working on hard surface roofs. Still wouldn't be my first choice.

But you're in a travel trailer forum. Other than the Airstream and a few others, not many have solid rigid roofs. We just need to be clear about where it is appropriate. In my opinion your concern over roof penetrations is a little overblown. I doubt if Airstream uses VHB to secure anything to their roof. And doing so would be a real money saver. I suppose they've never heard of it, right? LOL.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver