cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

jacks up or down

ggrotz
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 samba class a.When I put it into storage is it better to put the jacks uo or down thank you.
16 REPLIES 16

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
I suppose it depends on the manufacturer but HWH says, on their web page FAQs, that there is no reason to retract their jacks for storage.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
SAR Tracker wrote:
If they are hydraulic cylinders (can you see a shiny shaft extended when they are lowered?) then they should be stored in the closed/retracted position. Otherwise, rust will form on the shaft, and when retracted after storage, will damage the hydraulic seals.

I second that from experience.

thead
Explorer
Explorer
Jacks down, Hydraulic fluid doesn't deteriorate an the jack shafts won't rust, check an old pc of abandoned construction equip thjat has set in the elements for years, most cylinder shafts look like new! Take as much of the coaches weight off of the tires & suspension as possible. 4 hydraulic legs don't care, careful U block the drive wheels so it doesn't roll, 6 tires sitting can develop flat spots over time, zero weight on em, zero problems other than sun exposure, If that doesn't make sense to U, nothing will.

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 I think you will win that bet LOL
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm guessing that people that full time have their jacks extended about 365 days a year.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Bigfooot leveler manufacturer says no problem with having their jacks stored down or up for long periods of time. If it ever occurs that the jack is stuck in the down position I can relieve the pressure on the jack and run it back up.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
My rationale for storing (couple of months) with the jacks is taking some weight/stress off the tires. Not off the ground of course, just to stablize and take part/most of the load. Of the 4 motorhomes we have owned, never had any rust on the jacks
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Slides and Jacks when stored. NEVER extend Jacks for storage and never leave slide rooms extended in storage. WHY? Because IF they malfunction and will not retract, you are stuck until you get it fixed. There is NO REASON to extend jacks in storage. Even if fulltime, you need to cycle the jacks twice a month, Same for slide rooms. I get calls all the time from customers that have left Jacks or slide rooms extended in storage and they cannot get them to retract. Nothing I can do, until they get the RV in to me. Otherwise they have to call a mobile repair service. Doug

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If they are leveling jacks::::: One expert Said lower 'em and in fact raise 'em a bit more than you need to take some of the load off the springs.

If they are stabilizing jacks. Your choice. Depends on if you plan to walk about inside the rig.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œFound myself inside an RV with 50-70 mph wind and I have to put mine down even on a temporary stop.โ€œ

No need to put down a Class Aโ€™s jacks in 50-70 mph winds other than for your comfort.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Bigfoot levelers and the company says it is okay to store the jacks up or down since the shafts are stainless steel and don't rust. I always spray them well with a silicone spray as per manufacturer's recommendations.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is stored in the drive with the jacks down to level it. We do spray the pistons with grease occasionally to help keep water off.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our hydraulic cylinders do not rust. We have been full-time since 2011 and sit from 4-6 months at any one time with the jacks down/extended. We have been within a mile of salt water and that didn't happen. This is not true. I would say, consult your owners manual or see if there is an answer on your manufacturers website.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe needed down if storage is in specially high wind locations.

Found myself inside an RV with 50-70 mph wind and I have to put mine down even on a temporary stop.