Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Will fridge run off tow vehicle on batts on TT?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Will fridge run off tow vehicle on batts on TT?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

arcsum68 wrote:

There will be no battery, it needs to go in the Nash that I am selling.

And Yes, TW = Tow Wehicle. LOL, sorry about that.

And it is a 2 way fridge and would be on propane.

Federal LAW requires a fully charged functional battery in trailer while towing to activate the Emergency Breakaway----required to maintain voltage/braking for 15 minutes should trailer become disconnected from tow vehicle.

Just saying....you will not be safely towing regardless of distance/time frame

As for fridge...
Tow vehicle '7 pin CHARGE' line is intended to charge/maintain trailer battery voltage while towing.
W/O trailer battery----fridge will not have DC for controls/gas valve because tow vehicle alternator/voltage regulator will not 'see' the fridge DC demand.

Buy a CHEAP 12V battery and toss it in the trailer........!~!

x2

Alternatively if you have a vehicle battery that is up there in years, buy a new one for the vehicle and use the old one for the breakaway while underway.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/20 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our fifth wheel towed by F350 dual alternators had a 20 amp cartridge type fuse. It was charging or keeping the batteries in the fifth wheel charged and the refrigerator freezer was getting electricity..through the batteries. I hadn't thought about it but it did have a converter charger in it. The factory sent me a second vented battery box an cables. It was a Holiday Rambler Alumiscape. It had two 12 volt deep cycle maintenance free batteries.
Most of the wiring harnesses offered for connection between Fifth wheel or Trailer and the tow vehicle are really inadequate. I bought a heavy 10 gauge wired plug and leads Trucks and Trailers and soldered the connections and heavy shrinked them too. No way the flimsy 14 gauge wires on most would carry the 20 amp rated fuse load, imo.
if you don't have the capacity in your towed RV simple enough to buy the converter charger and wire it and..be sure to use battery boxes and vent hoses to the outside.

Lwiddis

Mojave, Kern County, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/20 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“where I can throw the 2 golf cart batteries on the tongue temporarily?“

You can throw them anywhere but if those batteries aren’t fully recharged daily you’ll shorten their life considerably.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I turn my fridge off while traveling and done this for 6+ hour trips with no harm to contents of items in fridge.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

arcsum68 wrote:

There will be no battery, it needs to go in the Nash that I am selling.

And Yes, TW = Tow Wehicle. LOL, sorry about that.

And it is a 2 way fridge and would be on propane.

Federal LAW requires a fully charged functional battery in trailer while towing to activate the Emergency Breakaway----required to maintain voltage/braking for 15 minutes should trailer become disconnected from tow vehicle.

Just saying....you will not be safely towing regardless of distance/time frame

As for fridge...
Tow vehicle '7 pin CHARGE' line is intended to charge/maintain trailer battery voltage while towing.
W/O trailer battery----fridge will not have DC for controls/gas valve because tow vehicle alternator/voltage regulator will not 'see' the fridge DC demand.

Buy a CHEAP 12V battery and toss it in the trailer........!~!

I find it hard to believe that the tow vehicle differentiates between the trailer battery and the truck battery. My guess is the two batteries wires are just tied together at some point and the computer sees the two as one big battery.

One easy way to find out. plug the 7 way umbilical into the truck and start the truck up. Then go into the trailer and see if the interior lights come on. If the lights come on then the refrigerator should work on gas.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

Our fifth wheel towed by F350 dual alternators had a 20 amp cartridge type fuse. It was charging or keeping the batteries in the fifth wheel charged and the refrigerator freezer was getting electricity..through the batteries. I hadn't thought about it but it did have a converter charger in it. The factory sent me a second vented battery box an cables. It was a Holiday Rambler Alumiscape. It had two 12 volt deep cycle maintenance free batteries.
Most of the wiring harnesses offered for connection between Fifth wheel or Trailer and the tow vehicle are really inadequate. I bought a heavy 10 gauge wired plug and leads Trucks and Trailers and soldered the connections and heavy shrinked them too. No way the flimsy 14 gauge wires on most would carry the 20 amp rated fuse load, imo.
if you don't have the capacity in your towed RV simple enough to buy the converter charger and wire it and..be sure to use battery boxes and vent hoses to the outside.

How did you run the converter charger going down the road? Generator in the trailer running?

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To answer your question directly, yes, the fridge will run directly off your 7 pin connection. It would be better to have the batterys on board but a propane fridge only takes about an amp to run so it's no problem for the vehicle to keep up.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

arcsum68

Northern CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys! Sounds like I should have a battery for safety reasons. I am a safety 3rd kinda guy at camp, but on the road I take it seriously, so I will make sure I have a battery. I can make it work, just didn't want to have to.

On the plus side, got my angle iron and square tube earlier than expected so I should be able to put something together to store the 2 golf cart batteries before I leave anyway.

As per usual, this forum pretty much kicks ass.

2005 Ford F150 5.4 Super Crew
2000 Nash 24a

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Curious what brand paint will you spray on the metal? Ive got some frame rust around my battery box that has needed attention.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

get a chunk of dry ice .

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Will fridge run off tow vehicle on batts on TT?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.